old school or young fool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nova

Contributor
Reaction score
Without rehashing all the bad blood between the DIR movement and the hogarhian way of diving , I would like to ask the members of SB to think about the way you REALLY dive. do you consider yourself a hog diver or a DIR diver ? Do you know the difference? Did you know that ALL the skills taught in DIR-F can also be learned in the NSS-CDS cavern course? It's all there, GEAR , TRIM , SILT CONTROL, GAS PLANNING, LIGHT AND HAND SIGNALS, all of it. Do you know who taught the founders of GUE to dive in an overhead environment? Would you rather be able to safely dive in an overhead environment or be a better open water diver that has overhead skills?

Last , but not least, are you really sure your way is the best way? or can you continue to learn from others outside of any agency?

This shouldn't cause any controversy, just open debate. :D

O.K.

You want us to know that you're as good as any DIR diver. Alright.

Is there some other point that you would like to make? :06:

Stephen Ash:
O.K.

You want us to know that you're as good as any DIR diver. Alright.

Is there some other point that you would like to make? :06:

"AS" good? since when did it become a competition? or is this the result and side effects of the purple cool-aid thinking that DIR divers are the only real divers?

nova:
Without rehashing all the bad blood between the DIR movement and the hogarhian way of diving , I would like to ask the members of SB to think about the way you REALLY dive. do you consider yourself a hog diver or a DIR diver ? Do you know the difference? Did you know that ALL the skills taught in DIR-F can also be learned in the NSS-CDS cavern course? It's all there, GEAR , TRIM , SILT CONTROL, GAS PLANNING, LIGHT AND HAND SIGNALS, all of it. Do you know who taught the founders of GUE to dive in an overhead environment? Would you rather be able to safely dive in an overhead environment or be a better open water diver that has overhead skills?

Last , but not least, are you really sure your way is the best way? or can you continue to learn from others outside of any agency?

This shouldn't cause any controversy, just open debate. :D
Hi Nova,
Good food for thought. Just a quick question though, who did you do your DIR training through? I mean that, quite often you point out that all of the material in the DIRF is available in other agencies courses (usually, you cite the NSS-CDS) and I am curious what exactly is your experience with DIR. Since you are so vocally critical of it and you do make some pretty bold claims, I would hope that you have actually been through a course.
Much like most of the other GUE Instructors, I have rec'd training and been through most of the curricullums of NACD, IANTD, and even NSS-CDS (offered the card but turned it down--did not need it.) You are absolutely correct in implying that GUE founders rec'd thier training from the other agencies. But what you do not add is that they built upon that and now have something completely different to offer divers than what is available via the aforementioned agencies. Speaking form experience, I can say that after 20 years of diving and after having invested many thousands of $$$ in training(& equipment) through the agencies other than GUE, I was a bit disappointed simply because I felt there were integral parts of the picture missing. Only when I rec'd my training from GUE did the "missing pieces" fall into place and my diving took on a completely different (translated as better, safer, more enjoyable) feel. But I just was curious if you have had experience w/GUE training as well as the training given by the other agencies you're promoting and then come to the conclusion that what GUE has to offer is identical to what you rec'd from NSS-CDS or are you just basing all of your assertions on what you have read on the Net? Typically when I see GUE/DIR bashing it is from someone who has never rec'd any formal GUE/DIR training, says that thier class was exactly the same (?? how would one know this w/o actually taking training from both sides??) and says thier class is superior (??how is this if it is "the same'??). I hope this isn't the case and you can tell us where and when you actually took your GUE training and perhaps we can have a civil "debate" then....one that is based in actual experience and not assumptions that appear to be fueled by emotions quite often
To answer your last question, I am very happy w/my way and do not really mind if others dive any other way. My intention is not to persuade anyone to do anything, I just want to enjoy my diving and if there are others that are genuinely interested in learning what I do, then I love to teach what I can. True as well is that there are great instructors working for all agencies, but whether or not they are teaching the real DIR from it's founders is difficult to determine by just reading agency standards. Learning real DIR was/is important to me because I fully believe in the philosophy & implementation of this system, so I want to be sure I am getting the real deal. That's why I choose GUE and GUE trained divers. There are FAR too many "I teach DIR methods" courses being advertised that when one digs just a little they find that this "DIR method instructor" has never had any real training in it and is only regurgitating the baloney being peddled on the Net. So another student is misinformed and then we see it here when thay are asserting what they beleive is "DIR" that was taught by someone that read the Net.
Now, when I read a post like yours I just have to ask what GUE/DIR training you actually have and exactly what's your intention of this post?
After following many of the threads that you are involved in, I get the impression that you have no DIR/GUE training at all and yet, you continue to publicly make assertions and criticisms about what we do that would imply that you actually know what we do. I may be wrong in this impression, but if you have actually rec'd some formal DIR/GUE training, it often looks as if much of the message was somehow missed. If that is the case, and you are truly interested in DIR (which judging by the amount of posts you are involved in that you assert some knowledge of it, you must be somewhat interested in it), then by all means contact a GUE Instructor and they/we are always happy to help. Albeit, we are not going to get into any pissing matches on the Net, but if you are genuinely curious, I think you'll find they are all eager to help.
Good luck w/your thread!

Best Regards,
brando

Tamas:
"AS" good? since when did it become a competition? or is this the result and side effects of the purple cool-aid thinking that DIR divers are the only real divers?

That's what I get from the initial post...it seems the poster is looking for some acknowledgement of his skill level. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but what other reason would he have for stating the obvious?

...or is he just trying to stir the pot?

In his title, Nova gives you the choices:

1) Old School

2) Young FOOL

Apparently there are no other options. He is calling every diver that is not "Old School" a fool. Which makes his post one of the broadest insults I've ever seen on ScubaBoard.

Now that takes talent! :wink:

(No need to reply, Nova. We're talking about you, not to you. :D)

Maybe I'm just an old fool, BOW recreational diver. No desire for overhead environments or to become a "professional"; i.e., no desire for more C-cards. It seems to me that a diver can continue to develop using resources like books, this and other boards, and diving.

Sometimes I find the "born again" divers to be a bit annoying but I appreciate the opportunity to look at various ideas and pick what is right for me.

Old school or young fool was a refering to my way of diving. Not yours. all I've gotten to this point is" you don't know because you have not taken the class". Who do you think dives with GUE divers? everybody! are they perfect? PLEASE don't go there!

And, " your looking for acknowledgement of your skills" How do you know this? the GUE divers I dive with respect my skills as do others that I dive with.This takes years of practice and can't be learned in one class or over the net.

And "we are talking about you, not to you", even a blindman can see the insult there.

This all reminds me of the padi vs. naui wars. There will always be a small company that tries to muscle into the industry. It did little good then and it has even less value now.

Am I a better diver than every GUE/DIR diver? hell no . Am I a better diver than most GUE/DIR diver? maybe. Do I have an open mind about new techniques and current events? That's what gives me an edge that the average diver doesn't get. Can I use this insight to see critical failures in the DIR program?....BINGO

nova:
do you consider yourself a hog diver or a DIR diver ? Do you know the difference?
I'm still working on the right to consider myself a diver ... I'll take training and learn things from any source that offers me something I feel is worth having. I don't care about agency affiliations ... I didn't get into diving to join a club, or involve myself in "contests" with self-proclaimed uberachievers.

FWIW - most of what I've learned on the subject came about underwater ... with divers who cared enough to take the time to dive with me and help me improve my skills. Many of those were DIR trained ... some were not.

None of them were fools ... nor were most really concerned about labels or agencies.

We just want to go diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

nova:
Do I have an open mind about new techniques and current events? That's what gives me an edge that the average diver doesn't get. Can I use this insight to see critical failures in the DIR program?....BINGO
What critical failures do you see?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom