Old School Oval Masks - Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeFDS

Registered
Reaction score
New member to the forum so hopefully this thread is in a good location, I've been searching the internet for an old school oval mask and Ive found a few. They all seem to have the classic stainless edging around the mask which looks awesome but I'm a little hesitant to buy it because you're always told not to wear shiny equipment while diving. It also doesn't sound super exciting to have the shiny goggles attached to your head. If anyone has any other thoughts on that or on oval masks themselves Id love to hear them. I attached a picture for example.

41XnkWBTIZL.jpg

They were extensively used for many years without any problems related to their shininess. They have a large volume and a limited field of view compared to newer designs, but if you like them, dive them.

Good point. I know they were faded out for those reasons: limited vision and a larger volume. I wasn't sure if shininess was another reason for the fade out. Considering a more modern version of the oval mask, the Aqua Lung Atlantis does not have the stainless features.

Love them, prefer them to my other masks due to fit, durability, easy of clearing and leak tolerance (can keep a little water in it). Hundreds of hours with barracuda and northern pike so far and no issues. Same goes for a chrome regulator. As a fishermen I suspect it's more motion than shine that causes feeding responses. Dangling earrings, chains etc.

Enjoy,
Cameron

Last edited:
Good point. I know they were faded out for those reasons: limited vision and a larger volume. I wasn't sure if shininess was another reason for the fade out. Considering a more modern version of the oval mask, the Aqua Lung Atlantis does not have the stainless features.

The Aqua Lung Wrap Round mask still has a stainless steel frame. They paint the frame black...but it does not stay black long. Another high volume “old school” mask and still the most comfortable mask I use. I have 2 in storage in the event they ever stop producing it and I need a replacement.

Love them, prefer them to my other masks. Hundreds of hours with barracuda and northern pike so far and no issues. Same goes for a chrome regulator. As a fishermen I suspect it's more motion than shine that causes feeding responses. Dangling earrings, chains etc.

Enjoy,
Cameron

Is there a specific brand you would recommend? Considering Ive never worn an oval mask before. I currently wear a pretty regular sized mask for scuba diving and volume is not usually on my mind unless I'm free diving. Do you have anything to add about the volume of the mask? Considering dive depth around 70+ feet.

The Aqua Lung Wrap Round mask still has a stainless steel frame. They paint the frame black...but it does not stay black long. Another high volume “old school” mask and still the most comfortable mask I use. I have 2 in storage in the event they ever stop producing it and I need a replacement.

Oh well that's good to know. I could not find alot of reviews on the Aqua Lung and by the picture it was hard to tell. Currently my decision is between the Aqua Lung Atlantis and the Scuba Max Oval Mask.

Is there a specific brand you would recommend? Considering Ive never worn an oval mask before. I currently wear a pretty regular sized mask for scuba diving and volume is not usually on my mind unless I'm free diving. Do you have anything to add about the volume of the mask? Considering dive depth around 70+ feet.

I've not successfully got an ID on my favorite oval mask. Regarding the larger volume at depth, at most based on rough calculations it's a 1/10 of a breath, I've not experienced that makes a significant enough difference on my dive planning. When I started diving rebreathers with it I further refined my clearing technique to keep wasted gas to a minimum. Mask clearing air use is more about efficiency and technique than mask volume.

I occasionally wear a full mustache so I've found I get a better seal on the oval mask. My back up mask is a tiny low volume mask but i recently had it broken by a student and carry a 'regular' mask instead.

Consider oval isn't the design chosen by the majority of the divers so there are good reasons to go with other modern designs. Divers I respect happily retired their oval masks when the opportunity presented itself.

Regards,
Cameron

I occasionally wear a full mustache so I've found I get a better seal on the oval mask. My back up mask is a tiny low volume mask but i recently had it broken by a student and carry a 'regular' mask instead.

If you sport facial hair and are in the market for a backup mask, I just recently got an Edge Mask from DRIS for 50% off = $20 (still on sale as of this post!). Stupid cheap for how great the mask is. No leaking despite my goatee, and I really like how well it fits my face (I know, really subjective, just sayin).

If you sport facial hair and are in the market for a backup mask, I just recently got an Edge Mask from DRIS for 50% off = $20 (still on sale as of this post!). Stupid cheap for how great the mask is. No leaking despite my goatee, and I really like how well it fits my face (I know, really subjective, just sayin).

Thank you! That's a nice sale you found for the facial haired. Appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom