Old School Oval Masks - Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually wear the oval mask when I start putting on the old gear and dive vintage. Can't give you a brand as it is still in a box somewhere from the move. The field of vision is why it is not regular choice.

Bob

At http://tinyurl.com/y8yc364d there is a series of publications documenting ten classic oval masks still, or recently, in production. They may also be of interest because they don't have shiny metal rims.

I've snorkelled since the late 1950s and the kit I used back then has served me so well that I still swim in the sea with an old-school oval mask, a pair of all-rubber full-foot fins and a simple L-shaped snorkel, all of them manufactured within the last ten years or so. Whenever I've tried modern low-volume silicone-skirted masks, I couldn't wait to get back to my trusty high-volume variety. When it comes to gear design, I follow the principle "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Last edited:
While it's not an oval mask, I still dive my Scubapro Trivent. Been diving that same mask for 26 years. Still has the original mask strap. I bought a really nice low volume Atomic mask but still keep going back to my Trivent. I like the purge in it as well. You folks remember the purge don't you. One of those "failure points" that has not failed in 26 years and 1000+ dives.

Last edited:
Their best use is by photo models, buy it in white silicone.

You can actually see and photograph their eyes and face.

Stupid question...but is equalizing an issue since it looks like you can't pinch your nose? My assumption is that you'd have to resort to swallowing, jaw wiggle etc.

Stupid question...but is equalizing an issue since it looks like you can't pinch your nose? My assumption is that you'd have to resort to swallowing, jaw wiggle etc.

Most have the same pinch pockets inset below the mask frame for standard equalizing.

The mask under review by the OP has compensator bosses for squeezing the nostrils, enabling ear clearing:
41xnkwbtizl-jpg.426210.jpg

These finger wells go back to the late 1950s French patents of Georges Beuchat and Roland Forjot, who produced masks commercially incorporating the feature for their diving equipment companies Beuchat and Marin. They were widely copied and adapted by manufacturers in many countries around the world, including the USA and the Soviet Union. It was harder to clear the ears when using oval masks without these compensator bosses, but not impossible. Divers would press the bottom of the mask skirt against the nostrils to close them then exhale nasally.

The nose pocket design used in modern masks is actually quite an old idea that originated in the Cressi Pinocchio mask from the early 1950s:
1LuigiFerraro_0.preview.jpg

Pictured above is the inventor, Luigi Ferraro, wearing his invention, the Cressi Pinocchio mask, which was devised in 1952 and is still in production.

The mask under review by the OP has compensator bosses for squeezing the nostrils, enabling ear clearing:
View attachment 426357
These finger wells go back to the late 1950s French patents of Georges Beuchat and Roland Forjot, who produced masks commercially incorporating the feature for their diving equipment companies Beuchat and Marin. They were widely copied and adapted by manufacturers in many countries around the world, including the USA and the Soviet Union. It was harder to clear the ears when using oval masks without these compensator bosses, but not impossible. Divers would press the bottom of the mask skirt against the nostrils to close them then exhale nasally.

The nose pocket design used in modern masks is actually quite an old idea that originated in the Cressi Pinocchio mask from the early 1950s:
View attachment 426358
Pictured above is the inventor, Luigi Ferraro, wearing his invention, the Cressi Pinocchio mask, which was devised in 1952 and is still in production.

Great information! I purchased a similar oval mask and will dive with it in the next day or so. Excited to see how to works and will post my thoughts after the weekend.

I had an oval mask for years because I have a hard to fit face. For some reason ( possibly getting older and doughy) most mask fit now. I also found masks that are designed with built in readers. Unless you have a particular need, like vintage or photography modeling, you will probably find modern masks more to your liking. Because of fit, I would by a new mask from the LDS where you can try on a bunch of them an ask questions.

The chrome on you tank valvestem is more likely to attract fish. The only time I ever saw it was with some 3' gar on a FW river dive in Florida. At least on your mask you can see them coming.....

Last edited:
This thread is timely as I am thinking of getting one for vintage-look purposes. Thanks all for sharing.
I picked up an old super pinnochio....wow that skinny ss strap made me go cross eyed and gave me a headache (my left eye is jacked up - not correctable). Normal panelled masks don't bother me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom