Old SDM Article: "Buddy diving, only for the lonely?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMitch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Around 1980 there was an article in Skin Diver Magazine entitled something like "Buddy Diving, only for the lonely?". I have tried searching for it but to no avail.
I do not remember the name of the author but met him on a dive trip once and he was a real character. Lots of interesting ideas.
Does anyone remember it? Is there a way to search old Skin Diver Mag articles?

There is no SDM repository listing titles to articles .
Most on this board were not into diving in 1980
To search for a single article with out a definitive title wound be time consuming effort, either checking indexes or turning page by page.

If you can be considerably more definitive on the title and year I suspect the only way you will locate the article is by pure accident

SDM

The title and/or subtitle as I recall it is what I put in the title of my post.

I do not remember the authors name but the one time I met him was on a dive boat on an NASDS sponsored trip. He was enthusiasticly showing us a prototype of a mask he called the Hammerhead Mask. It was an almost absurdly wide oval mask that he touted as having the best field of vision ever. It had levers in the nose piece for pinching your nose to equalize. If it ever made it to the marketplace I was not shopping that day.

Many things that predate Google (BG I call it) do not come up in searches.

Aquarius and Dive were the NASDS magazines of that era The title sounds like an article that would have been printed in a NASDS publication .

I suspect you will locate the article buried some where deep inside one if the issues...
Good luck in locating the issues of Aquarius and Dive (or any one who have heard of the magazine or even seen a copy)

sdm

Perhaps I imagined the whole thing.
Too much nitrogen.

You were a NASDS instructor.....
The two magazines, Aquarius and Dive were the official publications of NASDS
The late great John Gaffney, founder of NASDS. was the publisher and editor.

Where you currently reside it is cold, windy, and snow is here or on its way
It is suggested that you take advantage of these winter months to do some research

Perhaps you can report your findings in the spring after the snow melts

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom