Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent 2 years touring Rock Horror worldwide. Bring on the obscure references

Please change your name to Riff Raff .. although I'm sure you look splendid in tight gold shorts...
I do not. I dress as the Criminologist.

Last Friday --way back on post 213 I
I posted

"This thread is becoming serious- very serious !

The chairman has posted, Boulder John came out of retirement and posted and Marie 13 posted
Like a holy trinity The father , the son and Marie 13 --GOK where she fits in ?

Can any one recall a documentation of when the first SCUBA tank exploded ?
Where did it occur ?
Who was injured ?

I can only recall of documentation of three SCUBA tanks exploding
There certainly must be more
list them ?????

What single individual was responsible for VIP= inspection of SCUBA cylinders ?
What national program initiated the VIP program ?
When was it initiated ?

Why and when did PSI begin ?

Maybe some can come up with the answers ????" '
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The posts are beginning to remind me of a conversation I had at the New Mexico Blue hole diving center with a super duper instructor who informed me "There was No books, No magazines. No training manuals and no diving Certifications, before...…." ( guess the organization ?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now NO ONE has stated evidence or a recollection of an exploding steel or aluminum SCUBA tank.

A steel one did exploder and did damage some years ago-- an organization established the VIP program a long time before Bill High created his retirement program.

SDM

Last Friday --way back on post 213 I
I posted

"This thread is becoming serious- very serious !

The chairman has posted, Boulder John came out of retirement and posted and Marie 13 posted
Like a holy trinity The father , the son and Marie 13 --GOK where she fits in ?

Can any one recall a documentation of when the first SCUBA tank exploded ?
Where did it occur ?
Who was injured ?

I can only recall of documentation of three SCUBA tanks exploding
There certainly must be more
list them ?????

What single individual was responsible for VIP= inspection of SCUBA cylinders ?
What national program initiated the VIP program ?
When was it initiated ?

Why and when did PSI begin ?

Maybe some can come up with the answers ????" '
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The posts are beginning to remind me of a conversation I had at the New Mexico Blue hole diving center with a super duper instructor who informed me "There was No books, No magazines. No training manuals and no diving Certifications, before...…." ( guess the organization ?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now NO ONE has stated evidence or a recollection of an exploding steel or aluminum SCUBA tank.

A steel one did exploder and did damage some years ago-- an organization established the VIP program a long time before Bill High created his retirement program.

SDM

https://www.luxfercylinders.com/img...uminium_scuba_cylinders_safety_alert_2217.pdf

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 53
@Jiminy
Common knowledge for many years

What about Steel Cylinders? Especially those that you have witness or read about exploding ?

<<<Remember it it is not on google it didn't or couldn't occur >>>

SDM

What about them? Im sure they have exploded no tank is 100 percent safe

SDM

I would say that dropping a cylinder 3 feet onto concrete is far less extreme than this test.

BTW they do drop test planes. Or at least the closest analog practical. It's pretty hard to pick up 3/4 of a million pounds.

And a 100 year old steel cylinder would have only 20 test cycles if it made every hydro on time. Hardly extreme. Maybe my sarcasm meter is just off.

Anyway, that doesn't mean that DD's experience in failure analysis doesn't have any merit, simply that he is skeptical because he has seen "sure things" that turn out to be not so sure. He has determined that based on his experience, his tanks have a lifespan where his confidence in their performance falls below what he is comfortable with. No harm in that.

Now I don't agree with his retirement stance, I feel that the current testing of steel tanks by competent personnel is enough to keep them in service and catch any issues, but I know how I handle my tanks, and if there was ever a situation where I had any doubt, I would rectify that immediately. Things with unknown pedigree should rightly be subject to more scrutiny until their fitness for duty can be adequately surmised. The probability of a fluke accident will always exist.

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for taking the bait. Landing gear on AC are incredible pieces of machinery. They withstand shock loads from almost all axis.

They are mostly made of steel!

Aircraft designers still use heavy steel components in landing gear because, overall, it is one the best and strongest materials available. It is tuff, flexible, and durable. It has very high tensile strengths. It does not work-harden easily.

Steel scuba tanks are not the problem.

thanks,
markm

That one might finally kill the thread. :)

Wait a minute, you are telling me that there are 5 times as many 6351 cylinders made then Ford Mustangs. Last year there was a big publicity about the 10-millionth mustang built. I see a lot of Mustangs. Owned a few as well. But my sightings of 6351 cylinders are rather rare. Where are all these millions of 6351s hiding at? They sure don't come through any dive shop or boat around me. A couple show up, but they are few and far between. Not even that many on Craig's list, and that is loaded with Mustangs.

Something about your numbers isn't adding up.

Hi broncobowsher,

I gave my source. It is a reputable source. Reputable sources do make mistakes.

Prove this statement and source incorrect:
"We know of 31 ruptures of 6351-T6 alloy cylinders out of more than 50 million manufactured."
http://www.psicylinders.com/MediaManager/documents/6351-alloy-cylinders-safe-to-use.pdf

Readers are leaders, are you neither? Please take that humorously and sarcastically.

I am enjoying this,
markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom