Older S&S strobes (YS-120, 90 and 30) and compatibility with current Digital Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have older Sea&Sea strobes (YS-120, 90 and 30) and I would like to know if these strobes would be compatible with current S&S DSLR camera housings (or any Digital Camera with S&S housings) or if I have to buy current strobe models to work with digital cameras. What are the issues/short comings of these older strobes when used with digital cameras?

Hello-
From the list of strobes, the YS-120 is compatible with SLR housings equipped with a 5-pin nikonos type bulkhead to shoot in manual mode or with a YS converter. Unfortunately the other strobes are not compatible with current SLR.

Are the current synch cords pin-out now different for the DSLR housing than the ones used way back then for film SLR's? Can the other strobes by used as slaves with the YS-120 still?

What is a YS converter? Is that for TTL?

Please see comments in red.
Are the current synch cords pin-out now different for the DSLR housing than the ones used way back then for film SLR's? Yes, the sync cords should be compatible if they are the 5-pin Nikonos type. Can the other strobes by used as slaves with the YS-120 still? Yes the YS-90 and YS-30 would slave off the main YS-120.

What is a YS converter? Is that for TTL? Yes, you can visit our webpage here to learn more: TTL Converters | Digital SLR Camera Housings | Line up | SEA & SEA

Yes, all of these strobes used the S&S sync cords that were used with S&S N90 SLR housing. Based on what I understand from your replay above, the YS-120, YS-90 and YS-30 can be used with a sync cord with a S&S DSLR housing in manual mode or with the YS converter for TTL function in addition to being used as slaves for a compatible strobe connected to a S&S DSLR housing, is this correct?

The YS-120 would connect to the DSLR housing via sync cord, the YS-90 and YS-30 would be untethered slave off the YS-120.

Hello-
From the list of strobes, the YS-120 is compatible with SLR housings equipped with a 5-pin nikonos type bulkhead to shoot in manual mode or with a YS converter. Unfortunately the other strobes are not compatible with current SLR.

So, the YS-90DX is not compatible with my D300?
I have been using them with the YS-TTL converter for a long time and never noticed that they were incompatible.
Could you elaborate on this subject?
Best regards.
Ramon

Back
Top Bottom