OLY E-M1 New Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guy, I agree completely that 99.9% would not be able to tell the difference in a 20 x 30 or a 30x40 print between EM1 and EM5 but then I don't think they would see the difference with a 24mp m43 or even 36mp sensor either. In fact I have 30x40 prints from the 5mp Olympus 43 E-1 camera that look very acceptable as well.

I also have 40x60 prints from a Hasselblad 50MP SHOT at ISO-100 and I bet you
would not be able to tell the difference from the Nikon full frame 24 and 36mp cameras.

News flash, Nauticam has just E-mailed me to say that they will now be developing a port adapter for the old Olympus ports for Olympus 43 lenses like the 7-14 & 11-22 zooms and the Olympus 8mm fisheye. This means that all of the Olympus style threaded ports from Athena, Inon, Olympus and others will be adaptable to the Nauticam Mini housings.

This is especially good news for those moving to the Olympus EM-1 and Nauticam NA-EM1 housing. The EM-1 has the best auto focus support for the 43 line of lenses. Keep in mind that these ports and adapter will not work with the M43 lenses.

Phil Rudin

No news on sn adaptor for the Zen / PT-EPxx ports to Nauticam?

It appears the ZEN PEN ports to Nauticam mirrorless housings is a bit of a design challenge and it is unlikely we will be seeing an adapter for this combo. With the great popularity of the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing and the ZEN Underwater PEN ports I think a combo would have been done by now if it was at all practical.

So if I went with the Nauticam housing for the E-M1, what lens port should I get that would accommodate the lenses I use? I have the 14-42mm, the 9-18mm wide, the 60mm macro, and the 12-50mm. I may get the 12-40mm some time down the road, but for the time being. With the E-PL3 Oly housing, I've used the Zen WA-100 Pen dome with the first 3 with no problem. If I go with the Oly PT-EP11 for the E-M1, I could get the adapter ring for the WA-100.

Well the real question is how well do you want those lenses to work. If you look at the Olympus system chart which is attached they say all but the 12-40 F/2.8 zoom will work in the one Olympus stock port for the EM-1 housing. If you look at the Nauticam port chart also attached you can find a port like the 12-50 flat port or the four inch dome port and I am sure all but the 12-40 would work to some degree behind one of those ports as well. You won't however find Nauticam recommending one port for all of these lenses, they will likely recommend one or two ports which will give the best results.

So you can buy the ZEN PEN port adapter (link also attached) for the New Olympus EM-1 housing and use your one port or you could go for the Nauticam with the four inch dome and get about the same results over the range of lenses or you could go with a consumer compact and add accessory lensers. When you get into interchangeable lens cameras you also get into interchangeable ports that is just the nature of the beast. No flat port is going to give excellent results with the 12-40, 12-50 and for sure not with the 9-18, they will all be a compromise on the wide end and no dome port is going to allow the best results on the macro end of the 12-50 or 60 macro.

You also have the issue of the difference in gears for the lenses. The only gear that operates the 12-50 fully is the $800.00 Nauticam lens and gear combo that will not work with the Olympus housing, so that lens is also compromised with any other port system. So for Nauticam the $800.00 port is the best alternative and for Olympus perhaps the ZEN adapter and port but I have not tried that combo to date.

They big question is how much image quality do you want and what are you willing to spend for that quality.

Zen Underwater PA-EP08-EP Port Adapter for Pen Domes [zen.pa.ep08.ep] - $100.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/support/cs/pen/acce/pdf/system_ptep11.pdf

http://www.nauticam.com/images/catalog/catalog_18.PDF

Phil Rudin

Some of us don't have the luxury of dropping a lot of money on these things.

Last edited:
Jak,

For your lens selection, you would never use the 14-42 when you have the much better 12-50. You would need two ports, the 4" dome for the 9-18, and the dedicated 12-50 port/gear (that port can also house the 60mm macro). In terms of compromise, I think from my use that the 12-50 flat port gives you much more on the macro end than what you lose on the wide end, which is still decently wide. I can go from scenics and turtles to nudibrancs and blennies in seconds and if you want wider you use the 9-18. For ultra-macro use the 60 in the 12-50 port. You would have everything from wide to ultra-macro covered and a lot of versatility.

Yes, that 12-50 port and gear is expensive, but it is my most-used lens and gives you incredible options on a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom