Oly PT-010 latch hook repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerryw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a Friday two weeks ago, I was loading my Oly 3040 into it's PT-010 for the next day's dives and I heard a snap as I closed the latch. The housing has about 220 dives in a bit over 2 years.

With considerable dismay, (!) I noted that the plastic latch hook had broken in two at the Tee. Clearly no more pics until this gets fixed.

I think what happened is that I put the little moisture pack that comes with the housing in the bottom, with the camera on top. I have been doing this for a while, with no problems. I thought the pack was thin enough to fit in the space, but apparently not. The lid did not seem especially hard to close.

So now I had a problem. I looked on the web for PT-010 parts and found exactly none. There are no Oly stores in Lima, Peru that would stock these types of parts. I figured I was going to have to upgrade a lot sooner than planned as I did not expect to be able to repair it. Not quickly, at least.

The next day, my buddy told me he knew a machinist who could make the part for me.

I took the part to him the next day, Sunday, and I had a new stainless steel latch arm installed on the housing by the following Saturday. Total down time: 8 days, total cost: (you won't believe this), $9. He did a terrific job, the latch arm fits perfectly.
I also got him to make me a spare D-ring and keeper while he was at it.

I put some pics of the process on this site.

Latch hook repair

Very good! Wish machinists here worked that cheap!. It looks great. And remember...Stainless is Sexy!

28.gif

Great job. Another Captain Gadget

Back
Top Bottom