Olympus 5050 vs 5060 vs 8080

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more thing about a 5050 versus 5060/8080. The 5050 is the last of the 5+ mp Oly models that will take standard size AA's. It's a real pain (and expensive) to have back up batteries for an overseas trip when the battery system is proprietary. AA's, on the other hand, are readily available everywhere, even rechargeable NiMH. In a pinch you can put in alkaline AA's, but I wouldn't want to do this for U/W use, especially if you're using the flash. But it's there if you really need it (Murphy's law, etc.)

P.S. Hot-tip (I'll post this elsewhere when I get a chance), the new Sanyo "super quick charger" NC-MQH01U is an awesome AA charger. It charges very quickly (but slightly longer than the advertised 1 hour) and the batteries hold an incredible charge. Charges 1-4 AA's or 1-2 AAA's NiMH or NiCd in the convenient "charger plugs directly in the wall" configuration. Got mine at Wolf Camera, about $40 (including 4 of the awesome AA NiMH batteries). The charger for the BLM-1 (5060/8080 battery) takes 6 hours to recharge. Extra BLM-1's (the good ones from Olympus as opposed to the aftermarket dreck) cost around $70.

Check to see if you can still buy a housing for the camera first, the camera itself is easy to find. I would go for the 8080. regards

Hi people,
I do own a C8080wz camera and a housing (the olympus one).
I do not recomend this camera for any occasion. The noise is to much and pictures are not as sharp as my older's C4000zoom.
I always use the top quality to take pictures but I am very unsatisfied with the results. In lower than full daylight conditions, there is noticable noise in the pictures. Also the pictures almost 99% need a contrast correction. They look like there is some fog arround.
The C5050 and C5060 are taking much better pictures. Personaly I recomend two options:
a. Buy the C5060 with olympus housing or,
b. Buy a digital SLR (with housing) where the quality is much supperior.
If you want I can send (attach) some pictures I took 3 days ago.
Regards
Platonas

Platonas:
Hi people,
I do own a C8080wz camera and a housing (the olympus one).
I do not recomend this camera for any occasion. The noise is to much and pictures are not as sharp as my older's C4000zoom.
I always use the top quality to take pictures but I am very unsatisfied with the results. In lower than full daylight conditions, there is noticable noise in the pictures. Also the pictures almost 99% need a contrast correction. They look like there is some fog arround.
The C5050 and C5060 are taking much better pictures.

Regards
Platonas

Have you tried to return the camera? Is there any chance that something is wrong with it? It seems to be widely recommended as the best on the 8 megapixel "prosumer" models, and one I did try briefly seemed much strurdier and better built than my 5050z.

No, I haven't tied that but I beleive it is not a defect.
It is the fact that is called a High end but noise is more than in the c4000zoom model. This is true for any equivalent ISO setting. Also autofocus is slower and I thing not always as accurate as with the c4000.

I love my brand new C-5050 with the PT-015 case. I also have a Canon DSLR 10-D for land use and my C-5050 gives it a run for the money on land as well.

I can't believe how simple it is to use the C-5050. See my photo album. Those shots were the first underwater pictures I've ever taken, with the exception of those useless disposable cameras.

Hi

today, I received the message below from a professinal photographer in Hong Kong. he just tried the 8080!

I would suggest to go with the 5050 as I have seen some very good shots taken with it.

8080 yesterday tried out.... hey, Chris, I have lots of fish butts shots.. the time lag really is annoying. Anyway, more discomfort regarding the 8080 is that I can do and focus the sleeping fish (night dive) close, but the darn built in flash can never hit it the animal, since it is on Top! Besides the flash, the time lag, there is another major problem: it is the composition. Manual focus is very difficult, because the 2 buttons are rather small and sensitive, and tend to shoot off the in-focus spot. So, better with Auto Focus, but this also presents a big problem. Autofocus is only in the middle centre spot. After focus, I have to hold the button and shift left or right to completely get the fish inside the frame. It is easier said than done, because the shutter button is very sensitive, and easily while pressing down and shift, I accidentally shot the image already. Other issues... the wide is NOT wide enough... the grip of the housing does NOT give me the tight feel, the screen is way too small, though I can use the eye-piece, yet still nothing comparing to a SLR. Because it is digital, and underwater, I do NOT hear the fire of the shutter. Too many buttons on the housing.... bla bla bla... Chris, you are absolutely right, better go for an SLR digtial! may be S3! Ha! But all in all, it is fun shooting digital, even with the 8080, but don't expect much.

Maybe this will help you decide on which camera to buy. Here is a review of the 8080, and the C-5060. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c8080.html

The 8080 and the 5060 won awards from the 'DIWA' (digital imiging website association).

In reference to 'lag' as the previous photographer stated, the 8080 is suppose to have the best start-up of any digital camera. "Startup, sub-one second

One other item of big news with this camera is speed, despite having a telescoping lens system we have timed startup as just 0.9 seconds if the lens was left at wide angle at power off and around 1.9 seconds if at telephoto. That makes the C-8080 Wide Zoom startup faster than the Sony DSC-F828 (at least if started up at wide angle)." *from "Digital Photography Review". http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc8080wz/

Ronnie22

but startup isn't really shutter lag though is it? shutter lag, well, to me at least, is the time between pressing the shutter button and the camera actually taking the photo.
i use a 10d topside and there is very little discernable lag. even without pre-focus it's pretty darn quick.
any camera that uses a LCD viewfinder or EVF is always onto a loser as invariably the image shown on these lags behind real time. add to that focus delays (where AF is used), and metering delays (double flash) and you always end up with a system that needs to be used predictively rather than reactively. it's something you get used to and work around. it is depressing though when you have to swap between systems as the deficiencies are highlighted rather harshly.
i do b***h about the 5060 on dives, but this is at the frustration of not having the same degree of control or response of the 10d, which lets face it, will never be there anyway. that said however, the quality of the images tells me i've got the best uw system for the budget i had available at the time.

MiniMe:
Hello All!

I’m planning to replace my camera in the near future and would like to get some opinions.

Given what I’ve seen from other divers, Olympus looks like the way to go. Picture quality is very high and cameras seem to be more cost effective. Hence my question:

I would like to choose between 5050, 5060, and 8080. For the time being, I would take the money factor out of the equation. Bottom line is I would be willing to fork out some extra cash for 8080, should the difference be warranted.

I realize 5050 has the best aperture range – has anyone had any experience with comparing these three models in the low light environment?

Would anyone choose Ikelite housing over the Olympus housing? One thing I have to consider is an Ikelite Video like which I already have. It would be my preference to continue using it with the new setup, and I may have to buy additional accessories to get it to work. Again – for the time being, please ignore the fact that Ikelite housing is more expensive than Olympus. If the difference is justifiable I don’t mind spending the money.

Any general comments as far as these 3 cameras go? Ability to focus underwater? Picture Quality? Battery Life? Performance in low light situations?

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A bit surprised by some of the replies here.

I always think it's better to look at the housings first, look at the features they offer then get the camera that fits! You just can't compare the Olympus housing with the Ikelite. It's a different beast, more expensive, better quality, more useable and with optional ports that allow Olympus wide angle lens to be used. Best of all is full TTL compatibility which is nice to have when you upgrade your video light for strobes which you will want to do very quickly.

The Olympus housings for the C5060 & especially the C8080 are terrible! (IMHO) . The port mounting arrangement is so fragile, two tiny little plastic pins..... Olympus has seriously screwed up with the newer housings and I know for fact that they are inundated by housings being returned! Is anybody actually using the Olympus C8080 housing? The lens port is huge..... it looks ridiculous; they should have left the housings to the specialized manufacturers and stopped with the PT020! Truthfully the Olympus and other housings from the camera makers are not designed to be serviced or repaired (sure guys are giving it a go themselves) but the reality is there are meant to be disposable as those with older (two year +) housings are starting to find out!

Given your no budget concern, I would go for the C5060 in an Ikelite housing. Don't be concerned by the f stop range, who uses F1.8 underwater! I would only go for the C8080 if you need the high resolution; you need to be honest with your self as to what you are taking pictures for..... you would only need the 8MP if you wanted very large prints..... most divers that I know never get past posting their pics on the net....... 1MB would be enough :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom