Olympus 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok...i am new to this, so please have some patiences.

I have been reading up on White Balance [WB]. If I set the 5050 to Marco [flower s] mode and take pictures, will the camera automatically make the adjustments for me?

Yes, it will if you have the WB set to AUTO. With the Olympus cameras, most people have found that the auto setting works the best.

Thank you....beautiful pictures on your site, was all of it taken with the Oly C-4040 PT-10 S&S-YS90-DX?

Ok, another question....the 5050 U/W housing came with a Weight, to be attached to the housing. The obvious place is the screw it on the the base of the housing.

But I have a strobe, and I need the screw slot at the bottom of the housing to screw in the metal base bar for attachment to the strobe. So then where can the weight go?

There is no other screw slot to screw the weight on the metal base.

Is the weight necessary?

Cheers!
Alrick

You shouldn't need the weight if you have a strobe (plus trays and arms). I'd be surprised if your rig is not already negatively buoyant.

The thing is that, i did the pail test to see if the underwater housing leaks, and when i put of the full gear

...as in housing with camera, base metal plate and strobe arm and strobe, the thing still floated!

What should I do?

Yes....Most of the photos in all the albums were taken with the C-4040. Alot of those in the roatan 02 album was taken with only the internal flash. And the Cozumel album is all film shots. Other than that yes...all C-4040/YS90DX.

ReyeR's right. Say that 3 times real fast! :D

No....The weight of your tray and strobe will make up for the counterweight.

Got a question on the O-rings and frequent on the need to grease it.

2 questions here:
1. Is there a need to re-gease after every dive?

2. After the dive when we keep the housing, we need to grease it, but how often is there a need to take it out and grease it again before the next dive. [BTW I keep my equipment in a dry case].

Cheers!

sinners once bubbled...
Got a question on the O-rings and frequent on the need to grease it.

2 questions here:
1. Is there a need to re-gease after every dive?

2. After the dive when we keep the housing, we need to grease it, but how often is there a need to take it out and grease it again before the next dive. [BTW I keep my equipment in a dry case].

Cheers!

No, not after every dive. Removing the o-ring too often can cause distortion and flooding. Too much grease can attrach sand, dirt, hair, etc. to cause a flood. If you are shore diving and go through a surf zone where there's lots of sand in the water to become attached to your o-ring...yes, clean and regrease the o-ring. But as a general rule, you'll open your housing to change batteries and/or memory every other dive. At that time, inspect the o-ring for sand/hair/other debris. At that time I wipe off the housing side doorway but don't remove the o-ring in the door. At the end of the day, I remove the o-ring and clean it. The o-ring channel is cleaned very well as is the inside of the housing. I regrease the o-ring, change batteries and memory, do the same to the strobe and I'm ready for the next days shooting.

I'm surprised too that your rig still floated. It's alright to be slightly positive but more than that you're wrist will get tired quickly trying to hold it in place, even with a handle. You could always zip-tie the weight underneath the tray!

...as in housing with camera, base metal plate and strobe arm and strobe, the thing still floated!
Now I am surprised!! :D
My advice: take the rig for a dive first.
Re: o-rings
I check, clean and grease my o-rings for the next dive everytime I open the housing (to change batteries / download pics).
I clean and lightly grease and store my o-rings flat in 2 separate zip loc bags (labeled 'door' and 'body' - pedantic I know!) if I'm not going to be diving for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom