Olympus 60mm Macro Sneak Peak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Olympus 60mm macro has been a work in progress. If you look at the first prototype photos released for the lens it had four different focus limiting stops with one at 1:1 and one at 1:1 (or 0.19M)-0.4meters or around 1:5 times life size. That focus stop still appears in the newer lens photo posted in the link in this thread. What appears to have changed is the ability to push in and rotate the dial counter clock wise to power zoom from 0.4M to 1:1 in addition to being able to auto focus from 0.4M to 1:1. For those that want to shoot in this excellent macro range using power zoom rather than manual focus this appears to me to be an upside. A port is coming from Nauticam which should allow you to use this feature, however if you still want to auto focus within the 1:1 to 1:5 macro range it appears this can still be done without having to press anything. Again this is the only macro lens I know of that can be limited to such a great macro range and should be very fast to lock onto a subject within that range. Like any custom port I am sure it won't be as inexpensive as the Panasonic 45mm macro port.

I also see that Nauticam will release a custom port for the super sharp Olympus 12mm F/2 a lens I really like to use. Regarding the Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8 another excellent lens it can be used with the Nauticam 4 or 6 inch ports and a zoom gear is being released.

Not sure how Olympus will deal with these lenses in their E-M5 housing. The reviews I have read so far were all done with Olympus DSLR housing ports and 43 not M43 lenses. So far the only port on the Olympus chart for an M43 lens and the new housing port mount is the port for the 14-42 kit lens, a less than ideal lens for such a great camera.

Phil Rudin

When announced tomarrow the retail should be around $599.00 so that sounds about right. This should be an outstanding lens as the Olympus 50mm has been for 43 DSLR's. The 50mm was my prime macro lens for years and one of the most outstanding of all the Olympus lenses. A Nauticam port that allows full control of the lens has already been planned for release soon.

Phil Rudin

Sounds great. I hope the lens/port combo iinvestment is worth it. I have the 45mm pana and zen port and do love this set up also

I'm hoping that the 60mm macro from Olympus is a big improvement over the 45mm Panny. I've found that the 45 Panny, although it gives good results, usually hunts like a mongrel. . .
Bruce

Sounds great. I hope the lens/port combo iinvestment is worth it. I have the 45mm pana and zen port and do love this set up also

I'm hoping that the 60mm macro from Olympus is a big improvement over the 45mm Panny. I've found that the 45 Panny, although it gives good results, usually hunts like a mongrel. . .
Bruce

I would love to know what the nauticam port would look like and the price

Back
Top Bottom