Olympus 60mm Macro Sneak Peak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First the price for this lens has been set at $499.00 in the US if appears.

Olympus is a company that from the release of the four-thirds system has always been known to think outside the box as they say. The 60 macro is a result of that thinking and it seems that many are having a hard time grasping that type of thinking in regard to this lens. This is the only macro lens to have the focus limiting feature for the closeup/macro end of the lens. By compareison macro lenses like the Panasonic 45 mm macro allow you to set the lens from about 20 inches to infinite but does not allow you to lock into the close range, as a result the lens has to cover a larger range to focus to 1:1 and you get hunting which we all know.

All Olympus has done is allow you to have three ranges rather than two or one limiting ranges. If you still want to shoot from infinite to .19 meters (7.5 inches) which is 1:1 you can set the lens to do that and I expect it will hunt a bit. You can set the lens from .4 meters (about 16 inches) to infinite to shoot larger animals or you can (and this is the best part) set the lens in a range from .19 meters or 1:1 to .4 meters or about 16 inches. In this range the lens should hunt less than any other macro made I would think. You can as some have said turn the control wheel counter clockwise when in the .19-.4m setting and the lens will zoom to 1:1 and hold there.

So without a custom port you can pick a range before the dive and stay in that range. with a custom port/gear I would think you could shift between ranges and perhaps use the zoom to 1:1 feature. Either way you will still be able to get to 1:1 without having to turn the dial.

The Olympus 50 macro is one of the best macros on the planet in terms of image quality and it only goes to 1:2. If this lens is as good image quality wise as the 50 macro it will be an outstanding buy at $499.00.

Phil Rudin

Looks good, I will preorder one as soon as I can !!
If this lens performs anything like the 50mm macro it will be a sure winner.

I think Scott is a little ahead of himself here. I am pretty sure that neither he nor most anyone else has actually seen the lens or had it in their hands but is simply taking some of the published specs and speculating quite a bit. "Hopefully faster focusing than the sluggish Panasonic 45mm macro" is not quite an objective assessment. In any case, if the lens is as good as the OLY 4/3 lenses it should be killer.

Bill

Understood with firmware upgrade with 12-50mm we can select for UW macro (50mm) or wide (12mm)
can we expect the similar firmware update to select the limiting range for 60mm?

First the price for this lens has been set at $499.00 in the US if appears.

Olympus is a company that from the release of the four-thirds system has always been known to think outside the box as they say. The 60 macro is a result of that thinking and it seems that many are having a hard time grasping that type of thinking in regard to this lens. This is the only macro lens to have the focus limiting feature for the closeup/macro end of the lens. By compareison macro lenses like the Panasonic 45 mm macro allow you to set the lens from about 20 inches to infinite but does not allow you to lock into the close range, as a result the lens has to cover a larger range to focus to 1:1 and you get hunting which we all know.

All Olympus has done is allow you to have three ranges rather than two or one limiting ranges. If you still want to shoot from infinite to .19 meters (7.5 inches) which is 1:1 you can set the lens to do that and I expect it will hunt a bit. You can set the lens from .4 meters (about 16 inches) to infinite to shoot larger animals or you can (and this is the best part) set the lens in a range from .19 meters or 1:1 to .4 meters or about 16 inches. In this range the lens should hunt less than any other macro made I would think. You can as some have said turn the control wheel counter clockwise when in the .19-.4m setting and the lens will zoom to 1:1 and hold there.

So without a custom port you can pick a range before the dive and stay in that range. with a custom port/gear I would think you could shift between ranges and perhaps use the zoom to 1:1 feature. Either way you will still be able to get to 1:1 without having to turn the dial.

The Olympus 50 macro is one of the best macros on the planet in terms of image quality and it only goes to 1:2. If this lens is as good image quality wise as the 50 macro it will be an outstanding buy at $499.00.

Phil Rudin

I was expecting to pay a lot more for this lens.

Phil, thanks for the explanation of the focus range dial. I agree that the three ranges are useful. The part that threw me was the power focus to 1:1. Interesting feature.

We do have the lens, and have been doing some tests with it, including port tests. I'll be updating the Olympus 60mm lens review page with the latest info. - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom