Olympus 770SW Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One other thing, JFYI, if you want you can get the Inon Z240 strobe, an ugrade that will allow wired TTL on ebay for just about the same price as the D2000. What is the difference, one has the North America warranty and the other does not--if that matters. I think I am completely happy with the D2000 since I have no real intention of going on another complicated photography binge--been there and done that. Nothing worth less than obsolete UW cameras other than a worn out computer-ZERO.

N

Hey, I just got a Stylus 790 with a PT-041 housing. Ok does the built in flash work at all? What about the Olmpus strobe for this type of camera? Are what strobe then?

I have not had mine under the water yet but I used to do some UW photog years ago. I don't know anything about the Olympus strobe and I can tell you from what I know from the past, the internal strobe will not be worth a dime. I bought the Inon D2000 from recommendations and research. I believe it to be the most sophisticated small strobe for use with P&S cameras of any type. For one thing it has the ability to work with preflash cameras, actually read and supress the cameras strobe to reduce back scatter and overheating --which causes condensation in the housing. I don't know of any other strobe that has this combination of abilities which I am betting are important to getting some decent snaps. That said, I see all manner of divers with small snappy cameras with nothing but the internal strobe and have seen some half decent pics from them. Just depends what you want. N

Nemrod I knew it's going to take a strobe to get a few good images. Digital is new to me, the flash, pre-flash aaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!! I should of kept the old Nikonois V and SB105. It's just I want pictures. No cybechrome are slides here.

I'm heading to the Keys and going to use my friends arm and a sea and sea strobe with a optical cord. At least to get my feet wet and see what's what.

FYI: The strobe on the 770 works really well on macro shots underwater. But anything farther than a foot or two from the camera won't get the flash at all.

I'm finding another handy use for the 770 next week: Kayaking in the sea of cortez!

Hey all, just more fyi on the 770: I took it kayaking/fishing/snorkeling in Baja last week, and it held up great! I did have an accidental shock test on it: When walking around on the rocks of a small island in Bahia de Los Angeles, I slipped and started to fall forward. I stopped myself by using my right hand, which had the camera in it, so it basically amounted to me bashing the camera against a rock and putting all my weight on it to keep myself from falling. Not a scratch, and the camera still works fine. I should mention I did have a soft silicone protective covering on it, so that might be why there was no surface scratching from the sharp rocks.

This has turned out to be a great purchase for me. Our friends on this trip used a disposable waterproof camera and got poor quality shots. They were really happy we'd brought our 770!

check out baja pics here:
Baja - March 2008 - a photoset on Flickr

Well, until they get the Pixel count up. A nikonos on film will always look better when printed then a digital. 35mm film is around 54mp. And, that's what the designers have always said.
I suppose but if you're really into it there's a thread about an underwater medium format camera on wetpixel. Of course, you'll need to sell both kidneys and your house to afford one. I just saw, in Popphoto I think, a 100% crop of a scanned film image and an entry level DSLR. The image straight from the camera far exceeded what the scanned film produced.

FWIW pixel count isn't what you should be looking at. More pixels do not necessarily make better photos, in fact, can make the images look worse than a lower pixel camera. Don't be fooled by salesmen who are paid to push the newest and highest pixel counts.

FWIW pixel count isn't what you should be looking at. More pixels do not necessarily make better photos, in fact, can make the images look worse than a lower pixel camera. Don't be fooled by salesmen who are paid to push the newest and highest pixel counts.

I couldn't agree more. The thread I was pointing to on wetpixel has posts from the medium format digital camera and to be honest they're not any better to the eye than a full frame DSLR. I think Nemrod had it spot on. The day someone comes out with a camera sans housing for use underwater they'll make a mint.

Photos taken with the much maligned and dismissed 770SW:

P3270022.jpg

P3280174.jpg

P3280153.jpg

P3280134.jpg

P3280117.jpg

P3280224.jpg

P3280198_edited-1.jpg

P3280124_edited-1.jpg

P3280076.jpg

I used the PT035 housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Inon 165AD FE lens.

I love that Inon 165AD lens, amazing piece it is.

N

Back
Top Bottom