Olympus C-4040 Strobe Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations on a strobe for the Olympus C-4040 Digital Camera?

My wife and I are upgrading from the Bonica King Snapper, and should received are C-4040 any day along with an Olympus housing.

We are debating on taking our new camera and the Bonica King Snapper on vacation to La Paz, Mexicio in October. Any recommendations or advice on taking two cameras? (good idea or bad idea)

from my experience I'd recommend the Sea and Sea YS90DX or the INON D-180. I've been using the YS90DX since it came out AND i'M REALLY HAPPY WITH IT. The YS90DX comes with 12 step lighting adjsutment and will also work with film camera like the Nikonos V or any housed SLR camera.

here are some sample pixs taken with the INON D-180 and YS90DX strobe.

moray%20eel%20c.jpg

blue%20chromis%20pair.jpg

Hope this helps...:)

I'm using the S&S YS90DX. With the 12 power settings, I can get the light needed for any shot. I didn't take many wide angle shots but here's some examples of macros...

5797_1601_3.jpg

5797_1601_4.jpg

5797_1606_3.jpg

Triggertravel - how are you going to operate any secondary flash with your 4040? I have the 3020 Zoom with an Olympus underwater housing and there is no connection for mounting an external strobe. Are you planning to use some sort of fiber-fired device? If so, I would be interested to know what it might be - and where to obtain one.

I'm delighted with my Olympus Camedia and the housing. The ability to maintain full operational control of the camera underwater is outstanding.

MN

Dee & uwdigital: Thank you for the pics and the advice. The pictures are great! Any recommendations on where to purchase the YS90DX? Do you get a lot of backscatter using the Olympus without a strobe?

Mike: Thank you for your reply. We are planning on purchasing a tray and "slave" strobe. How do your pictures turn out without a strobe?

Originally posted by triggertravel
Dee & uwdigital: Thank you for the pics and the advice. The pictures are great! Any recommendations on where to purchase the YS90DX? Do you get a lot of backscatter using the Olympus without a strobe?

I got mine from Underwater Digital . Yes, uwdigital is one and the same! I can highly recommend him for his prices and excellent service.

You can get some great results with no strobe at all or just using the cameras internal flash.

Mike....the S&S YS90DX is used in slave mode via a fiber optic cable attached to the Olympus PT-010 case.

We have BOTH the S&S DX90 and the Ikelite DX125. There are many pros & cons to both. However, right now we are leaning towards the Ikelite because you can set it to TTL; something you can't do with the S&S.

That being said, Ikelite claims they have worked out all the kinks in their strobe, but we haven't had a chance to test that out yet. It arrived back from them AFTER we'd already been to Bonaire.

We'll keep everyone apprised of developments. :wink:

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom