Olympus C-5050 to E-330, One Jedi’s journey to the DARK SIDE. Part Two: Two housings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f3nikon:
My E-330 came with a 14-45mm the E-1 comes with a 14-54mm... close focus is not the only issue it's the sharpness and speed as well. The 50mm beats them all...may as well start with the best optics. If your lens cannot focus much closer than 1 foot you can be sure you will miss some macro shots.

The 14-45mm is a good lens overall for casual snapshooter, mine will be just an expensive camera cover.

"The ED 14 - 54 mm is the E-1's "Kit Lens" and is basically twice the price of the EZ 14 - 45, and to be honest while it's a faster lens it doesn't really produce very much in the way of sharpness. Obviously it's going to have other improved attributes (distortion, contrast, flare etc.) but this comparison does help to demonstrate how good the 14 - 45 is."

"Macro Focus
With a minimum focus distance of 38 cm it's fairly clear that the EZ 14-45 mm was never really intended as a macro lens. The best performance of 107 x 80 mm was achieved at telephoto."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse300/page20.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse300/page19.asp

Personally I would spend my money on the best optics other than an overpriced/over rated strobe setup when there are inexpensive strobe setup that will do the job.

E330 does indeed get kitted with the 14-45, its not the best lense, nor is it fast. I'm saying its better to opt out of the kit, buy the body and 14-54. The lense is most definately sharp enough, and decently quick. As SeaYoda mentioned, the diving here isn't condusive to a single focal length. While you may miss a tight macro shot on a small subject, with the 50, you miss anything wide angle :D The 14-54 isn't much more expensive than the 50, so buying one over the other shouldn't be a financial consideration. Just a matter of what you'd rather shoot I suppose.

SuPrBuGmAn:
E330 does indeed get kitted with the 14-45, its not the best lense, nor is it fast. I'm saying its better to opt out of the kit, buy the body and 14-54. The lense is most definately sharp enough, and decently quick. As SeaYoda mentioned, the diving here isn't condusive to a single focal length. While you may miss a tight macro shot on a small subject, with the 50, you miss anything wide angle :D The 14-54 isn't much more expensive than the 50, so buying one over the other shouldn't be a financial consideration. Just a matter of what you'd rather shoot I suppose.

I see your point.

If anyone has problems with the Fantasea Housing shutter speed / aperature selection button and the rotating dial for changing aperatures / shutter speeds being difficult to operate (as both need to be pressed at the same time) please let me know and I can give you an easy fix that 1) makes the selection button lock in the down position and 2) stops you having to press the rotating dial. You may need a little basic handyman ability and a set of small screwdrivers, but that is all.

Reefwalker:
If anyone has problems with the Fantasea Housing shutter speed / aperature selection button and the rotating dial for changing aperatures / shutter speeds being difficult to operate (as both need to be pressed at the same time) please let me know and I can give you an easy fix that 1) makes the selection button lock in the down position and 2) stops you having to press the rotating dial. You may need a little basic handyman ability and a set of small screwdrivers, but that is all.

Thanks for offering that help to folks. It will make them very happy. I wish Fantasea would have taken the suggestions you made to 10Bar and produced the housing with your modifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom