Olympus C-7070

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was playing around on the Oly site and saw This New C-7070 this morning. Sounds pretty interesting, since they have included at least two underwater modes in the standard shooting modes.

Twelve (12) selectable shooting modes including Sports, Underwater Wide, and Underwater Macro (underwater modes to be used with available PT-O27 Underwater Housing)

Anyone actually see one of these yet?

The U/W settings are just another automatic setting. In some instances it may work fine but there are so many variables in U/W conditions there's no one ot two magic settings that will give you good exposures. Having full manual control of the camera is the way to go.

Dee:
The U/W settings are just another automatic setting. In some instances it may work fine but there are so many variables in U/W conditions there's no one ot two magic settings that will give you good exposures. Having full manual control of the camera is the way to go.
Oh I agree! It would seem though from the "installed" settings that Oly is (maybe) trying to reach more into the underwater world and scuba divers who use their products. At least that is the impression I got.

Looks like an interesting camera anyway.

I agree. It's nice to know we're finally being noticed! I'd like to see U/W photos from those settings. You never know...they may have found the secret of the blue! :D

I noticed the c-7070 too, waiting for it to be released in Canada. Curious to see how those settings will work in our fresh green water. Looks like a really nice camera, though. I called Olympus and it's not being released until February, and the housing for it will be out within a couple of months of that date. Dimensions/buttons on it looked exactly like the 5060, was hoping its housing would work, but unfortunately not. For now I'll stick with what I have: a C-4000 with the pt-010 housing.

As much as I love my 5050, my all time favorite is still my old 4040, very similar to your 4000. It was so simple to use, buttons in intuitive places...I can operate it in the dark, great photos from it.

Hhmmm....now why did I upgrade?!? :wink:

Dee:
As much as I love my 5050, my all time favorite is still my old 4040, very similar to your 4000. It was so simple to use, buttons in intuitive places...I can operate it in the dark, great photos from it.

Hhmmm....now why did I upgrade?!? :wink:

That's interesting! I have a 4040 and while it does work well, I'm tempted by the ability to shoot RAW that the other cameras like the 5050 offer. Do you think the differences are worth upgrading, or stay with the 4040 until it dies?

That's interesting! I have a 4040 and while it does work well, I'm tempted by the ability to shoot RAW that the other cameras like the 5050 offer. Do you think the differences are worth upgrading, or stay with the 4040 until it dies?

Are you unhappy with the JPEGs the C4040 produces?

It's true that you get more control with RAW on the C5050 (e.g. exposure and white balance) but keep in mind the following:
- file sizes are large and write times are long, about 4 secs per picture on a fast CF card
- increase in work flow process and time
- you will need good RAW development software to take full advantage of RAW

If you don't have one already, invest in a good strobe instead.

ReyeR:
Are you unhappy with the JPEGs the C4040 produces?

It's true that you get more control with RAW on the C5050 (e.g. exposure and white balance) but keep in mind the following:
- file sizes are large and write times are long, about 4 secs per picture on a fast CF card
- increase in work flow process and time
- you will need good RAW development software to take full advantage of RAW

If you don't have one already, invest in a good strobe instead.

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy. Just wondering if there was a "better way"!

Just picked up a S&S YS90A, but haven't got the new composite rig wet yet. I'm sure that will help some, and of course another strobe will help some more. Been toying with the idea of getting a WAL as well.

It's all a journey that has many side roads and detours with a few dead ends thrown in for interest. Gotta love the ride!!

Anyone know when there will be an Ikelite housing for this camera and what the price may be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom