Olympus C5050Z

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saudi-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a new guy to this forum I used to have a old motor marine 2 camera and got a few good shots I have just invested in a Olympus C5050Z camera and housing We dive southern east red sea and we are really lucky coz no body else dives it . Sorry I am rambling. My question is, is it a decent set up or should I dust off the old Motor Marine 2. Take care and dive safe

Ps does anyone know where coustou left his habitat off the Farisan Islands

Hi Saudi-Diver and welcome to the board.

As you'll see elsewhere I'm in exactly the same position as you with a new 5050 and housing. On land I find it a great camera but UW I really do have to spend some time with it - but thats down to me being a total beginner when it comes to UW photography.

All I can say is that you (we) have a great set-up (ok its not going to deliver the quality of 35mm slide, but what the hey) that'll get us both snapping like we've gone insane.

BTW, how lucky are you being able to dive the southern Red Sea day in and day out? I've not been over there yet. I keep telling myself - this year, this year. This time I'm serious it WILL be this year - just got to make the booking.

Anyway in the mean time enjoy your camera and happy snapping!

Tim

SD,

I have the same camera with a PT-10 housing. It does excellent macro shots but I'll have to invest in a strobe for anything beyond a meter. Still, I love it.

clive francis once bubbled...
I'm sure i have read somewhere in the blurb for the 5050 that it does super macro.

my question is does the flash still work in super macro mode or is switched off like the c4000?

When set in super macro mode, the 5050 will default to having the flash shut off, unless you go into settings for the flash and select Slave. I have used super macro mode outdoors topside and found that I don't need the flash, but there may be other times when you'll want to have it firing.

The internal flash works in macro--my housing has a deflector screwed on to diffuse backscatter. The macro pictures are exquisite. If I knew how to, I'd attach one.

lragsac once bubbled...

When set in super macro mode, the 5050 will default to having the flash shut off, unless you go into settings for the flash and select Slave. I have used super macro mode outdoors topside and found that I don't need the flash, but there may be other times when you'll want to have it firing.

but without a strobe connector on the housing you will never be able to do that

DivePartner1 once bubbled...
The internal flash works in macro--my housing has a deflector screwed on to diffuse backscatter. The macro pictures are exquisite. If I knew how to, I'd attach one.

yeah i know because my 3040 does that, but i was asking about the supa macro

Back
Top Bottom