Olympus contrast and sharpness settings??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeROB:
No worries. So since jpg is a pretty good compression algorithm it is safe to say that shooting TIFF is pointless ?
The large file size and saving time results in a long shot-to-shot delay - which pretty much makes it useless for action shots.
If I didn't have RAW, was shooting a landscape scene or even studio still life and needed to make reasonably large prints I would shoot in TIFF to get the cleanest possible image.

ReyeR:
The large file size and saving time results in a long shot-to-shot delay - which pretty much makes it useless for action shots.
If I didn't have RAW, was shooting a landscape scene or even studio still life and needed to make reasonably large prints I would shoot in TIFF to get the cleanest possible image.

True, True - didn't think of something like that.
I was thinking about what I said earlier though. And if olympus would provide the filter information they use when creating the TIFF file it may be possible to recreate the 'RAW' data by applying inverse filtering techniques. Since TIFF is lossless all pixel information is retained. The only problem is the processes (filtering) involved in creating the TIFF image will introduce noise, however there are some very advanced algorithms which can actually predict these noise patterns and inverse them along with the rest of the image. It would not be perfect but would be damn close and hence you could start from scratch and apply your own filters, like a raw file.
I am just thinking out loud here, please let me know what you think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom