Olympus E-520 & PT-E05 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h2onutz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an Olympus 7070 camera with the Olympus housing, I have used it for several years and have gotten good results, I am in the market to make the next jump forward to a SLR camera and housing. After comparing the options, the Olympus E-520 with the new Olympus PT-E05 Housing (when available) looks like it might fill my requirements, I like the feature of fiberoptic firing of the strobe vs electrical connections (I already have an Ion strobe D2000 which utilizes this), and the system price is lower than other systems with aluminum housing. I would like to get feed back from others.

I'm due to get one of the first housings in the US and haven't received word that they've shipped. Some folks from Europe have already received theirs and haven't given much feedback yet. The camera itself is impressive for its price range. Very fast and if used correctly, the live view is faster than on any previous model since the E330.

Hi,

What sort of feedback are you looking for? I'm working with my 2 Inon 2000's and no probs so far. The funny thing is, that you'll be using "STTL" position on yr strobes in order to get the required strobe power.... (no magnet inserted in the strobe).
Another thing I found out.... the internal flash leaves a nasty reflection on the PPO-05 port, using the 14-42 mm and it shows on every picture. Working around by using the Inon clear photo film set would do the job.

Anymore questions.... don't hesitate to ask.

the internal flash leaves a nasty reflection on the PPO-05 port, using the 14-42 mm and it shows on every picture.
The PPO-05 port comes with a rubber piece that screws onto the lens to block reflections. Without this in place, you'll get bad reflections on almost every shot.

Just got word my housing shipped yesterday!

Thx Gary..... didn't know that, but I only borrowed this port till my macro port arrives plus the dome. Don't want to invest in a port that I'm not going to use after I got my 12-60 lense.

grtzzzz,

@Pennywise
Can you please post some UW-pictures taken with the 14-42?
LiveView under water in low light, does it work, and what focus mode did you use?

Cheers
/Johan Fredin

Hi guys,

I bought a E520 a few weeks ago with the plan to use it for underwater work.
I see Video Direct now has the PT-E05 in stock
Video Direct: Olympus PT-E05 Underwater Housing for E-520 Digital SLR

In order to use my E520 underwater I require the following (can someone confirm this)
PT-E05
PPO-E05 (can this only be used for the 14-42? or can i use it with the 50mm 2 as well)
UFL-2 Flash
Bracket for flash
Strobe cord

Anyone know where I can get these online that ships to Australia?

Cheers

Deane

I use the PPO-05 port for both the 50mm macro and the 14-42mm lens. It works fine. The only issue is you won't be able to add stacker lenses or wet diopters unless you modify the port cover like I did. I would not go for the UFL-2 or the Olympus flash bracket. Instead I'd go for an Inon D2000 or Z240. Athena or Inon both make good trays and arms. The housing is the correct housing.

Mr Pyro...hope you don't mind but here are some photos with the 14-42mm....and I'll even throw in my op-ed on the lense.

The following are of the Ducom Pier.
WASunburstPhilippines2008_sunburst_3_WP.jpg

WAdiverPhilippines2008_diver_WP.jpg

WAsunburst_3Philippines2008_sunburst_2_WP.jpg

On the wide angle side it left you yearning for a few more degrees. With a 2X crop factor the 14mm side is actually 28mm.

The 42mm side is perfect for all kinds of fish portraits. Here's a large 5 inch seahorse.

seahorse1Nov2007Hawaii_crop.jpg

Because if focus down to about 5 inchs from the end of the port, it again leaves you wanting a little more on the macro end.

I like the lens and again it is great for everything that is swimming and would be wide enough to capture pelagics and close enough to get some great fish pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom