Olympus E-520 & PT-E05 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW...here's a shot from the 50mm macro inside the standard PPO-05 port with a woody's diopter customed into the port cover.

PhilippinesMay2008wierd_shrimp_WP.jpg

I use the PPO-05 port for both the 50mm macro and the 14-42mm lens. It works fine. The only issue is you won't be able to add stacker lenses or wet diopters unless you modify the port cover like I did. I would not go for the UFL-2 or the Olympus flash bracket. Instead I'd go for an Inon D2000 or Z240. Athena or Inon both make good trays and arms. The housing is the correct housing.

Why not the UFL-2?

I thought that being designed for the camera exposure would be better.

***MOD NOTE***
Adding this thread to the Sticky for the Oly 520. Photos of the rigs and more details on your impressions as you have them would be awesome!

Eventually it would be nice to have a nice selection of threads with images from various lenses/setups, too :wink:

Why not the UFL-2?

I thought that being designed for the camera exposure would be better.

I've used my old E410 with fiber optics connected to Inons for 8 months and they are superb. They are also light, powerful, and easy to pack. Their recycle times are just under 2 seconds. They have 100 degrees both vertical and horizontal of coverage. I have been in absolute love with the strobes since I started using them.
The UFL-2 is built by Sea&Sea. Sea&Sea has had issues with their strobes, especially the YS110. The UFL-2 will not be as strong as the Inons and its coverage will not be as good. It will probably be fine for macro and some fish pics. Just my 2 cents worth.

@CE4JESUS

I'm in the same sittuation as H20Nutz. Camera but no housing for it. And a beginer in the UW-dslr world, been using P&S + external flash for a few years now tho.

Lovely pictures!
Have you taken them with your E-410?

I noticed a bit of distortion in the corners on the wide end shots. Is this from using a flat port or is it just out of the focus range for that aperture setting.

Am I correct in that you cant getaway with anything wider than 14mm in a flat port without getting distortion, or?

The 14-42mm + PPO-E05 seem to be a very versatile combination.

5 inch min focus distance from the glas of the port sounds ok. What about the wide end min focus distance?

Any thoughts on the 9-18? Ports, extension tube?
I asume that you would need a new domeport for it, hopefully something a bit less expensive than the PPO-E04

Thanks
/Johan

Pyro,
Thank you. Yes...took all but the last one with the 14-42mm combined with the E-410. The last one was taken with the 50mm. Olympus just upgraded me to the 520 so I'm waiting on the housing. I believe that the lack of corner sharpness is more a factor of the kit lens than the flat port. I know that by using a dome port will get you a slightly wider result. I don't think it will cure any lack of sharpness on the edges. I really like the 14-42 lens. For a kit lens its fairly sharp throughout its range and very versatile underwater. Its the perfect lens for a dive where you have no idea what you're going to find. The lens focus's about 9" from the sensor which is about the middle of the body. It does this throughout the range of the lens. The 9-18 is a much anticipated lens and it will be interesting to see the results. I also want to see the 12-60mm underwater. The 50mm macro is a must. It is an outstanding lens.

A curved dome port like the one from Athena for the 14 to 42 zoom does improve corner sharpness as well as allowing the lens to retain its full angle of view.
Athena OPD-SZ14-42 Dome Port for Olympus 14-42 in PT-E02, PT-E03 [ath.opd.sz1442] - $499.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

The 14 to 42 "kit" lens is very sharp for its price and the Athena port can also be used with the 35 & 50 macro lenses. The cost is higher for the Athena port which does not include the zoom gear.

I will be using the 12 to 60 zoom in Mexico next week. This lens has worked well for me and now I have a proper port and extension combo along with a custom gear for the SeaTool housing and E-3. The zoom range should be outstanding for U/W use.

Regarding the 9 to 18 zoom, it will require at least the 170 mm Olympus/Athena port and a new extension to preform well.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil,
I knew you'd pick up on this thread soon enough. That price looks very attractive for that dome port. Do you think it will support the 9-18 when it comes out?

Sexy new housing arrived today and I'm quite pleased with the design. I've got photos of the housing and I'll point out the improvements.
8214034.JPG

There are two improvements to the front. The first is a stylish black color. 2nd are the fiber optic connections build in. All very nice improvements.

8214035.JPG

This improvement is huge in my opinion. Its a rotary dial with a recessed locking switch. This lines the two halves up perfectly and locks them tightly together.

8214037.JPG

The first thing that pops out at you is how well the switches are labelled. They've added plastic caps to the posts for easier identification. A subtle, but really cool improvement, are the buttons. They depress easier and are further apart. They retain the offset of the previous housing.

8214039.JPG

The largest of the improvements is the area around the flash is now a much more subtle curve. This allows the housing to not have a large gap between the shells there. I will say the gap is slightly larger at the top than elsewhere however there's another improvement which I think will alleviate any concern. The main oring seal faces the outside edges and the first clamshell is recessed to allow the two pieces together. I forgot to photograph this but it will follow shortly.

8214040.JPG

I think this is an overpressure valve. So I think it would be safe to keep orings in the housing during storage and transit.

8214042.JPG

The housing base now locks into the base, again with a recessed lever. This insures a good seat of the camera in the housing.

8214043.JPG

Not a big deal but since the buttons are easier to depress you can now change aperture and shutter with 1 hand. In my PT-E03 the button was so tough to depress I couldn't manage it with an outstretched finger. They also retained the hotshoe mount.

8214045.JPG

Oring facing out

8214046.JPG

8214047.JPG

Gap

Overall, I'm really excited about the new design and can't wait to field test it.

I've gone thrue all my topside pictures, that I've taken so far with my E-520 + 14-42mm kit lens. And all 14mm wideangle shots are without distortion in the corners. I'd must say that the narow end does look a tad bit sharper. I can see why the 50mm macro might be a nice lens equip the camera with. Nice to hear that the min focus distance is the same thrue the entire range.

The Athena dome port might be a nice entry path. By adding it to the 14-42 how much magnification do you loose at the teleside of the lens? The same question regarding the 50mm macro, is there any disadvantage of having it in a dome port?

Phil, looking forward to se your pictures from Mexico with the 12-60, it might be something for the future when funds are restored ;-)

Thanks for the info.

/Johan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom