Olympus E-M5 off to Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Andy,

I have just sold the last of the E-3 stuff during the past month or so and waiting for the housings which are sure to come for the E-M5 while shooting my NEX-7. I see that Reef Photo has the body only in house at the $999.00 price if someone already has lenses and wants to update.

I have attached a photo of the 2012 Digital Fiesta workshop last month in Cozumel organized by Mexicandiver.com magazine. Dates for the 2013 workshop have been set and will include a cenote add-on in Playa Del Carmen as well as the workshop at Casa Del Mar in Cozumel. An early discount is now being offered. We had a great time for a great price. Student equipment included everything from the basic point-N-shoot to a 60MP Hasselblad system.

The E-M5 with the 14-42 will make a great hiking system.

Phil Rudin Groupo_Digital_Fiesta-2012-4260346.jpg

Look at the link for M43 lenses from Olympus and Panasonic shot using the same testing process and you will see much better results, Micro Four Thirds Lens Tests so the question becomes are you looking to buy a great sensor or a great system. This question has already been answered by DPReview who has given the E-M5 system its highest rating, gold and has commented that this is the best M43 camera yet and a contenred for best mirrowless camera of all.

Can't agree with you more.

A lot of people have this notion that a camera with an APS-C sensor is automatically better than one with a m4/3 sensor. While the absolute sensor area of APS-C is indeed 20% larger, the difference in IQ attributable to this difference in area is actually quite small. Case in point: The E-M5 actually has better dynamic range and cleaner ISO3200 than my 7D (18MP APS-C sensor, for whose not familiar with Canon DSLRs)!!

Also, sensor performance is not the only thing that makes a camera great for UW photography. Other things like AF performance, ability to shoot RAW, ease of setting custom WB, shot-to-shot time, or even the simple ability to set shutter speed/aperture independently can matter just as much.

Back in its days, the Fuji F30/F31 had a larger sensor than just about all other non-DSLR cameras. Superior low-light performance was indeed its main claim to fame. However, I was very frustrated when I brought my F30 underwater. Its already-slow-on-land AF became almost unusable once one goes below 40 ft. It simply could not find enough contrast to achieve focus once the reds and yellows were gone, and everything was a shade of blue (or green).

For the same reason, I suspect the Fuji X-Pro1 will make a horrible camera underwater, even though its APS-C sensor (without an anti-alias filter) is supposedly able to outresolve a Canon 5D2 (a 21MP full-frame sensor, for those not familiar with Canon DSLRs).

Don't get me wrong, Sony has some nice lenses FOR THEIR COST like the 30mm macro. But for underwater photography and that is what these threads are about, hands down Olympus/Panasonic has by far the better lens set. So the question becomes are you wanting to buy a sensor or a system.

Again, I can't agree with you more.

Once one enters the realm of interchangeable lens, one should really think about the entire system, rather than the camera/body alone. My 6-year-old, entry-level Rebel XTi mated to a 300 mm/4L prime telephoto lens will take WAY better photos on a safari than the latest 5D3 with a consumer 75-300 zoom.

Of course, underwater lens selection usually boils down to just two main themes: UWA/FE and macro. However, as a land photographer, I need to consider the camera/system's capability in many more situations, such as portraiture, sports, landscape, architecture, etc.

There is no doubt m4/3 offers WAY more possibilities compared to NEX or Fuji X-Pro.

Now, you don't mind, I have a few questions of my own.... :eyebrow:

I'm fully aware of all the reviews available on-line, but Phil is the first to be looking at it from 'our' angle. . . hopefully :wink:

As terson mentioned, I am hoping you can share your thoughts on the E-M5 (and the mZuiko 12-50), particularly in how they might fare underwater.

1. You mentioned before the standard 14-42 is cheap, and works well within the included port. You also mentioned the Panasonic "pankcake" 12-42 Power Zoom is a better lens (presumably from the IQ perspective).

Can you comment on how the mZuiko 12-50 compares to those two 12-42 zooms in terms of:
- IQ
- AF speed/accuracy
- ease of zoom/zoom speed?

The Photozone review is not out yet, but LensTip seems to think the 12-50 is average-at-best in terms of IQ.

The Panasonic 12-42 Power Zoom can zoom surprisingly fast at its maximum speed, perhaps no slower than one can zoom any mechanically-coupled zoom lens. Howevere, I've never zoomed a lens underwater using zoom gears.

2. Can you comment on how easy it is to set custom WB on the E-M5?

The Canon S95/S100, which is what I use underwater right now, allows one-button-push setting of custom WB, which is great. (I shoot RAW+JPEG, and I like having my JPEGs come out with half-decent colours to start with. Also, with available-light videos, one cannot count on RAW afterwards for WB.)

3. Can you speculate on the 12-50's usability with wet lenses?

Previous Olympus ports (or were they ZEN ports?) apparently have 67mm threads for wet lenses. I know the 12-50 has internal zoom, so its length remains unchanged whether one is at the wide-angle end or the telephoto end. I would assume this is ideal for working with wet lenses, since the front element of the 12-50 can stay extremely close to the back of the wet lenses.

(I know eventually hard-core UW photographers will prefer to go with dedicated UWA/FE or macro lenses, but for someone still very new to UW photography, the thought of being limited to either UWA/FE or macro even before water entry is extremely unnerving -- the proverbial "what if a whale shark or manta ray were to swim by when I had my macro lens on?" :rofl3:)

Many thanks in advance.

:D

Just quickly Retro, or is it Mr blader, if you check out issue # 65/66 of UwPmag you will find two fairly thorough reports on the new 12-50 lens from Olympus.
The first report is a basic introduction and then above water usage and then the second report in #66 is solely how the lens performs underwater, including the use of wet-lenses. The author for both reports is Dan Bolt and he offers plenty of info and photos. Results seem to speak for themselves and are up to you. . .
Bruce

Just quickly Retro, or is it Mr blader, if you check out issue # 65/66 of UwPmag you will find two fairly thorough reports on the new 12-50 lens from Olympus.
The first report is a basic introduction and then above water usage and then the second report in #66 is solely how the lens performs underwater, including the use of wet-lenses. The author for both reports is Dan Bolt and he offers plenty of info and photos. Results seem to speak for themselves and are up to you. . .

Thanks!

I downloaded #66, but I guess I will have to pay to get #65. :(

It's a bit funny how they allow the current issue to be downloaded for free, but charge money for past issues. :hm:

Anyway, if #65 is mainly going over the specs and also commenting on on-land use, I can easily find that information elsewhere.

Thanks again.

:)

I'm also tempted to get the camera now and assume that a decent housing will appear from somewhere. I've been holding my fire hoping to find some more tangible info (which is how I stumbled on this board / thread) but am travelling overseas in 3 weeks, and would be able to reclaim the Aussie sales tax if buy it between now and then! :cool2:

Google also found this for me, which I don't think has been linked in the previous discussion: Olympus - PT-EP08
Note the link to 'System Chart' to the right.

As far as I can see there is an optional adaptor with an M67 thread. Am I right in thinking that would allow me to use my existing Inon macro wet-lens (UCL165) with the 14-42 kit lens for Macros?
And can anyone re-assure me that I would be able to otically trigger my existing Inon strobe? (the chart shows 'fibre' cables, but it's not obvious to me that the housing has enough room for the detachable flash, which isn't shown in 'the system'...)

I think if I can anwer these I'm ready to pull the trigger!

I would be buying the camera. It is an excellent travel camera and housings will be coming from more than one source. The Olympus housing has two optical ports for fiber optic cables so youe Inon or other strobes will work.

The flat port for the 14/42 will have the 67mm thread for the close-up lens of your choice. Other housings for the camera will have the same set of features.

Regarding the 12/50 zoom, I don't have mine yet but the reviews I have seen so far are mixed. High marks for build, features, zoom range and mid range for IQ but still ahead of the 14/42 kit. The issue with this lens is that at the wide end (12mm-14) it needs a dome not a flat port. I have used the outstanding Olympus 12/60 43 lens U/W and a dome port is needed for best results. On the long end of the lens (50) the dome will help image quality but also widen the AOV of the lens a bit.

This lens will also require a custom port to use the macro control on the side of the lens.

Phil Rudin

Last edited:
I read the UWPmag review of the 12-50 also, but I didn't find any information about what housing or port was used to test it underwater. The 12-50 seems like an interesting all-around lens for UW use, having both somewhat wide and macro abilities. Strangely, I haven't heard that Olympus will be supporting it in their upcoming E-M5 housing. Surely someone will make a custom port for it, I suppose.

The Zen 9-18/14-42 dome port for the PT-EPL housing is what I think was used in the article, again at the 12mm end you will have much better success with a dome rather than a flat port.

P.S. The Ikelite Olympus section now has listed the E-M5 as another camera it WILL NOT make a housing for. Perhaps they are waiting for the Canon mirrorless release to tap into this market.

Phil Rudin

P.S. The Ikelite Olympus section now has listed the E-M5 as another camera it WILL NOT make a housing for. Perhaps they are waiting for the Canon mirrorless release to tap into this market.

Phil Rudin

I wonder what it is that Ike can't seem to get around with the mirrorless cameras? Their housings offer a fair bit more than Olympus' OEM designs and I remember the old 5050/60 era and Ike's TTL set-up was spot on for the Olympus protocol. The latest Olympus 4/3 cameras are all featuring a hotshoe for external flash control so this feature should bode well with Ike surely? I also seem to remember that Ike had manual controls on some of their ports, so this feature surely isn't out of reach for them either? Maybe there are just too many releases for them to keep up with design???Bruce

Hope they've got enough patience -- it'll be like waiting for Godot....

Or maybe they decided (correctly) their product will not appeal to OM-D owners:
- people who are willing to spend $1000 (on the body alone) will not be shy to spend a bit more for an aluminum body
- people who want to save money will probably go with the Olympus housing?

:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom