Olympus E-M5 off to Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or perhaps they simply underestimated the way the standard would gain traction in the marketplace? M4/3 has gone from niche to mainstream in a fairly short space of time, or at least that's my perception of it.

Just purchased an OM-D. Looking forward to using it on land and underwater, very seriously considering replacing my entire Canon 7D setup.

It sounds like a few manufacturers have housings coming in the next few months.

Will be curious to see what Canon comes out with for their mirrorless offering - the rumors seem to say that is on the way this summer.

Hopefully the price of the E-M5 will drop a bit when underwater cases for it start materializing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canon's mirrorless system uses the same sensor as the G1x, which can also be called a 4/3rd sensor.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 11:54 PM ----------

Hopefully the price of the E-M5 will drop a bit when underwater cases for it start materializing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canon's mirrorless system uses the same sensor as the G1x, which can also be called a 4/3rd sensor.

Actually, the G1x is a 1.5" (or 3/2) sensor....

Sensorsizes.png

(Source: Canon PowerShot G1 X Review: Digital Photography Review)

It's slightly bigger than a m4/3 sensor, and slightly smaller than an APS-C sensor.

:)

Last edited:
Canon has never made a contrast detect focus system that works even in the same league as panasonic, or sony, or now the last 2 generations of oly m43 cameras. The auto focus on the g1x is completely not competitive with what the best are doing, and I've always felt canon is afraid of losing DSLR sales if they make their prosumer cams too good.

Anyway, the AF on the hypothetical canon mirrorless will almost certainly not be competitive.

OK - I've just given my credit card number on the pre-order.
10% sales tax rebate coming in 3 weeks as I go through Melbourne airport:cool2: (provided it arrives in time!)

Does anyone know if there is a market for a slightly used C-5050Z with Oly housing?

I think there probably will be a market for it. Easiest thing is probably to advertise it on the buy/sell section of Diveoz. I have bought & sold a few items there.

Actually, the G1x is a 1.5" (or 3/2) sensor....

(Source: Canon PowerShot G1 X Review: Digital Photography Review)

:)

No, the G1X is still a 4/3 sensor--look at the image & specs again. Rumors are that Canon will announce their mirrorless offering next month. I agree that they're probably going to hold back the performance for fear that they will cannibalize their DSLR sales.

I can't wait to get some more info on the E-M5 housing options though. I think I've decided to pick one up, just pending trying it out in-hand first. I'm having trouble deciding whether to get the 12-50mm lens though. I already have the 9-18mm for the wide end. Basically the main appeal to me would be to have a weather-sealed lens to go with the body and a semi-macro option. If I could use it UW also, that would be an added bonus, but it doesn't sound like any of Olympus' ports will natively support it.

Hey Ggggggibson.

It is known that the g1x is just a little bigger than 4/3, and smaller than canon aps.

If you look at that diagram again, you will see that each little label, along the left edge, is the label for the line above it!

No, the G1X is still a 4/3 sensor--look at the image & specs again.

Are you confusing the Canon G1x (1.5" sensor) with the Panasonic GX1 (m4/3)?

The Canon G1x most definitely does NOT use a 4/3 (or m4/3) sensor.....

:cool2:

(Oh, did you mean a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor? The G1x sensor is indeed 4:3 in aspect ratio....)

Back
Top Bottom