Olympus EM1 II and Nauticam NA-EM1II Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the Olympus you move the focus points by the four arrow controller. Very simple. Back button focus also works fine. On our website, look at the videos; they are way more better than the pics.
BVA

Diver2fun I appreciate the information on the telezooms. I am a diver turned photographer, not the other way around, so I tend to ask dumb technical questions.

I was checking out the updated nauticam port chart to see if they had a configuration for the 12-100 and found that there is a new Panasonic leica lens that is 12-60 that does use the 180mm nauticam port same as the oly 12-40 with a 10mm extension. I have listed the link below. I wonder if anyone has tried this lens?

N85 Panasonic & Olympus & BMPCC.pdf

Actually tele-zooms can be used underwater quite nicely. The Olympus M43 12-50 is an example of a lens that can be used with both a flat port and a dome port. I suspect that the long extension of the Olympus 12-100mm is what may be preventing the housing of that lens by Nauticam. The 12-60mm zoom range is excellent with about a 1:3 ratio at the long end. I used the Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60mm zoom extensively with the Olympus E-3 DSLR several years ago. I have attached photos at the 12mm and 60mm end of the lens taken with an eight inch dome. The idea that these zoom should be used behind a flat dome is shot sighted because they offer much better image quality and range behind a dome. The 12-40mm behind a dome is also a wonderful portrait and model lens both for the pool and open water.

The best part about these lenses is that they are also wonderful travel and top side lenses as well.

The turtle photo is from an assignment covering a turtle research program in Barbados where animals are tagged and followed throughout the Caribbean.

untitled-102281.jpg
untitled-3161367.jpg

Apparently, the review in uwpmag is no longer a free download. Is there some other free way to see the full review?

Correct, all of the uwpmag.com issues are a free PDF download for the two month period they cover then when the next issue is posted the prior issue goes into the back issue section and is no longer free. I may have the PDF if you wish to send me your e-mail address to, tropicalone@bellsouth.net. PDF's can not be sent through Scuba Board. Remind me what you are requesting and remember that the issue and photos are copyrighted by the magazine.

Just got back from a month in Indonesia (Komodo and Alor) with the EM-1-ii. Very nice but still a few issues, apparently for example if the battery gets low the flash will not fire. Is there a workaround for that?
Bill

Hi Bill, I am sold on the Nauticam flash trigger which I have used with several cameras now. The other option is to go to hard wiring strobes using Nikonos V cords and bulkhead.

With my Inon Z-240 strobes set at about 1/4 power I am able to shoot at 18 frames per second using the flash trigger with fast moving subjects. I carry the Olympus strobe as a backup when I travel. It is worth the $220.00 for the peace of mind knowing that if one fails I still have a backup. The Olympus replacement strobe is $70.00 but the flash trigger is far more useful for me.

Nauticam Mini Flash Trigger for Olympus (NA-EM5II/EM1/EM1II) [nau.26306] - $220.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Back
Top Bottom