Olympus EM1 versus EPL5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

need some advice. Currently I gave an EPL5, which works fine, but isn't very ergonomically in controls. I was considering upgrading the case an camera to an EM1. I know the Nauticam case for the EM1 allows for much more convenient control of the camera. Also, this upgrade would allow me to reuse my current lenses and ports. However, I understood the EM1 doesn't provide any improvement in image quality. So in wondering if it's worth doing the upgrade just for ergonomic reasons other marginal image quality improvement, or maybe I should wait and do a complete system change in a year or two, to get both improvement in image quality as well as ergonomics.
what do you think?

Both cameras are based on 16 megapixels micro four third sensors. In effect among the various model on the market with the same sensor resolution there is very little difference between brands and models in terms of sensor performance. The difference as you pointed out is in the ergonomics.
So your need to change for another Olympus model is only dictated by your own level of discomfort with what you have

You need to take into account that Panasonic has just released a camera with 20 megapixels micro four third sensor, it is likely that Olympus will follow. But until then there will not be a new 16 megapixel camera that will provide you with a substantial improvement

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom