Olympus Macro Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mooseman1007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A question for everyone....what are the options for macro lenses on the Pen series housings. There seems to be conflicting data out there about what lens works with which camera/port etc.
I currently have an EPL2 with PT-EP03 housing, and my fiancée has an EPL3 with PT-EP05L housing. We have seen that the new olympus 60mm macro is supposed to work with the EPL5, but have also heard that its too long for the EPL3. Similarly the 45mm macro didnt work well with the EPL2 as it was too far from the port to be a great fit, but I have heard of people using it with the EPL3.
Looking at the specs PT-EP03 (180x135.5x166.5), PT-EP05 (175x149x156) and PT-EP10 (175x154x168) it kinda makes sense that the 60mm macro (56x82mm) would work with the EPL2 and 5 and the 45mm (63x62.5) would be a fit for the EPL3, but I would appreciate some advice from someone who has actually got the lenses/housings to test
Cheers
Dave

I have the epl2 with pt-ep03 and have the same questions.
You list the specs, but are those for the housing with the port on? Seems what's more important are the specs of the ports themselves. I think my understanding is that the standard port has not changed for the epl1/2/3/5. (This excludes the port with the leds).

I have a further question.
Does the 60mm macro work in a PEN housing with the Zen 100 port designed for the olympus 9-18?

If you are using the E-pl2, the zen macroport 45 works excellently with the 45mm macro. The "standard" housing port will work, but the front element is far from the lens front element so it cuts down some on working distance, and diopters don't work as well. However, the lens has such a high magnification factor (2:1 in 35mm terms) that diopters are not necessary.

The 60mm will work better in the "standard" e-pl2 port because it is longer and will therefore be closer to the port glass, but, of course, you have to buy the lens.

I cannot comment on the "standard" oly port for new model cameras. The 60 will work with the Zen 100 port but you have an even worse problem with the distance between the lens and the port, and no possibility at all of diopters.

If you have the 45mm and want to get the most out of it, I have a zen macroport 45 for the PEN housings for sale in the photo equipment for sale forum. That port will transfer to any PEN housing and give you optimum performance no matter which camera you are using.

Mooseman, I can confirm that the 60mm macro does not work with the stock PT-EP05L housing port, i.e. the one with the little LEDs. The port is a whisker too short for the lens.

At the moment I dont have either lens but had a play last night and the 14-42 lens on the EPL-2 can take 2 filters and still fit in the housing, where the EPL-3 cannot (it hits the front of the port) so there is definately more play in the port without the LED's, maybe making the 45mm a better fit for the EPL-3 ?. Just need someone to try the 60 on an EPL-2 and the 45 on an EPL-3 in their stock housings to confirm they really do work. Cheers for the heads up on the macro port Guy, I have the Zen dome already which I love but at the minute I was leaning more towards the 60mm for myself (the missus can use twin diopters easier with the screw threads on her port). Would be an expensive trial and error if the lenses are just that fraction too long (as I had heard the 60mm in the PL-EP05L was)

Mooseman, yes, the 45mm zen port is truly for the 45mm only. It is made so the front of the lens is right against the port glass, which is perfect for working distance and using standard 67mm wet diopters. This will work with any PEN housing, no matter which camera model. Even if the PL-3 standard Oly port is a smidgen shorter than the PL-2 standard port, it is still not an ideal solution for the 45 because the lens will still be back a way from the port element.

You would not use the zen macro port 45 for the 60mm, because the lens is too long to fit.

Cheers Guy,
Looks like the best option for my Fiance's EPL3 is to get the 45mm and use the stock port (with LEDs) in the interim until I can afford the 45mm Zen port. Just need confirmation that the 60mm works in the EPL2 housing and Ill be sorted too. Oh to have an unlimited budget :-(
Anyone able to check the 60mm/EPL2 combination it would be greatly appreciated
Moose

Mooseman,
My measurements are pretty accurate and the EPL-2 camera from the face of camera to the glass in the port is very close to 89mm and the length of the 60mm macro is 82mm, so I'm pretty sure that you have 6-7mm clearance to the glasss inside the port. . .
Early next week, my friend is trying the EPL-2 port on the EPL-3 housing with the 60mm macro so he will be able to confirm that combination as well. . .
Bruce

Indeed so! We'll let you know on this forum as soon as we've confirmed it Mooseman. I just hope I can find some accommodating nudis to pose for me.

I can confirm that the 60mm works perfectly in the "standard" olympus port for the E-PL2 housing. Front of lens is a few mm back from the port glass but still very close, working distance is good.

Mooseman, check you pms, I sent you one about a 45mm and matching zen port for PEN housings that I have for sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom