Olympus OM-D EM-5 with Olympus 60 mm vs Panny 45 mm and Nauticam 12-50 port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel Moncrieff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am now the proud owner of an Olympus OM-D EM-5 with the Nauticam housing (thanks Bluewater Photo!). Right now I'm using the Panasonic 45 mm lens for macro and the Panny 8 mm for W/A. I love the 8mm wide angle--it focuses quickly and beautifully, and produces great images. I just got back from a Bluewater photo trip to the Channel Islands and was able to get sharp pictures of Sea lions zooming by, using single point autofocus. I tested my 45 mm macro lens against my Canon 60 mm macro with my 50D body, and the Olympus rendered much better color, sharpness and detail, especially at higher iso's. However, it doesn't seem to focus as quickly underwater, even when used with a Sola 1200 focusing light. I did not experiment with the focus limiter on the lens, and I will try that next time to see if it makes a difference. Here are a few shots using both lenses.

My questions are: Has anyone had a chance to use the Olympus 60 mm underwater yet, and how does it compare to the Panny 45 especially in autofocus speed?

And has anyone gotten their hands on the 12-50 mm port from Nauticam, and how does it perform with that lens?

Thanks so much,

Mel

Attachments

• _YZZ0222 copy.jpg
    _YZZ0222 copy.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 162
  • _YZZ0017-2 copy.jpg
    _YZZ0017-2 copy.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 102
  • _YZZ0153 copy.jpg
    _YZZ0153 copy.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 93