Olympus OMD EM-1 MKII - Open Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max sync is dependent on the shutter. The mechanical shutter is two curtains, the first one "opens" and the second one "closes". At slow enough shutter speeds, the first curtain moves and the whole sensor is exposed for a period of time before the second starts to close. At faster shutter speeds, the 2nd curtain starts closing before the first one is fully open, meaning the entire sensor is never fully exposed. The duration of the strobe firing is much shorter than mechanical shutter speeds, thus the maximum sync speed is the fastest shutter speed in which the sensor is fully exposed. If you used strobes at shutters faster than the max sync speeds, part of your imagine will be blacked by the curtain blocking the sensor.

Thanks, but I did not mean I did not understand the concept...I meant that max sync speed can vary depending on the strobe used. For example, Olympus states that the max sync speed for non Olympus strobes when used with the EM1 is 1/250 instead of 1/320. I assume but don't know that the max sync speed for for the EM1 bundled strobe is 1/320, but have never tested it.

I'll look at it tomorrow.

If anyone is interested we will have a few bodies not spoken for into stock on Friday. Just email or call me at the store.

Hi;

Yep, mine is coming tomorrow! Will delve into the flash sync issue and test it with my studio lighting.

Yes, new housings all around. Oly housing should start shipping RSN along with the new macro port. It will be good for the 60, not so good with the new 30mm as there will be about an inch of space behind the port glass. Same port system as the E-M1 (not like the E-M5 MKII). 7-14 and 12-40 will still not fit...

Nauticam and Subal will for sure have new housings. But they only got the camera to work with a couple of weeks ago. And both had a lot on their plates until around Christmas. Hopefully we'll see prototypes the end of January in time for the BOOT show in Germany. Shipping maybe another 2-3 weeks later, depending on testing. One big issue is that the flash unit that ships with the E-M1 MKII is very tall and you can't use one of the flip up ones. So it's going to have to be replaced with a smaller flash or an LED trigger.

March should be doable Jason. I will have both housings in stock.

Thanks,
Jack

According to the portchard of PT-EP14 (see attachment) both 7-14 and 12-40 will work with PPO-E04 port plus extension ring. Also the 8mm fisheye with extension ring removed. Does this really work?
According to the portchard for the old OM-D 1, the 8mm/F3.5 fisheye should work, even without removing the extension ring...

Wolfgang

Attachments

• PT-EP14_E-M1_Mark_II_UWC_2016-10.pdf
    395.8 KB · Views: 119
  • PT-EP14_E-M1_Mark_II_UWC_2016-10.pdf
    395.8 KB · Views: 123
  • OM1_lenses.pdf
    430.4 KB · Views: 245
sounds good

According to the portchard of PT-EP14 (see attachment) both 7-14 and 12-40 will work with PPO-E04 port plus extension ring. Also the 8mm fisheye with extension ring removed. Does this really work?
According to the portchard for the old OM-D 1, the 8mm/F3.5 fisheye should work, even without removing the extension ring...

Wolfgang

Those are all for the old 4/3rds cameras. They do not work for the newer m4/3rds E-M5, E-M1, E-M5II or E-M1 MKII. Those charts were mis-leading. The f1.8 fits the small glass dome, the other lenses are too wide and won't fit with gears on.

I believe there's some confusion here, both about what ports fit and between the 2 fisheyes. Jack is correct in that the PPO-E04 dome was originally designed for the 4/3 7-14 f4 and 8mm f3.5 fisheye lenses. However- as seen in the link below, Olympus says it also works with the 7-14 f2.8 and 8mm 1.8.
http://www.olympus.com.au/Olympus/media/!!-UPP/000019166.pdf

I use an Inon dome that was originally marketed as an alternative to the E04; with a 2-inch extension, it works great with the 7-14 f2.8 and 12-40 f2.8. I have not tried it with my 8mm f1.8 in the water, but it works with the 1-inch extension in topside testing. If I remember correctly, the E04 is a little longer and only needs a 1-inch extension to function with the micro four-thirds pro zooms, so it makes sense that you would need to remove the extension to work with the 8mm f1.8.

The big domes make a nice one port solution for Olympus housings as they also work with the 60mm macro. You could use the smaller domes that Olympus, Inon, and AOI sell for the 8mm f1.8, but a bigger dome should be better for split shots while reducing the number of ports you need to drag around.

That dome is simply not available anymore. And I doubt it will be. This is a very old port chart. The gears are not available and will not fit the opening, nor the control on the housing. I've gotten this directly from the engineers that designed the PT-14 housing and actually just looked at it. The zoom control is at about the same diameter as the zoom control on the housing. and the diameter is close to the ID of a port.

Looking at this, why would you use a 60mm macro lens with a dome port? Or with a diopter? You can't get close enough, you loose magnification, and the image would be distorted on the corners.

Last edited:
I only tried the 60mm/dome in the pool to see if it worked in case I was limited to just one port for some reason. In practice, I use either the standard flat port or the old 4/3 port Oly recommends for the 12-40 pro lens as mine has a swing away diopter mount. The diopter is usable with the 60, but pretty handy with the 12-40 for night dives or low viz conditions where dome-worthy wide angle shots are unlikely.

Anyways, Oly needs to get their story straight because this port chart for the new E-M1II lists the E04:

http://www.olympus.com.au/getattach...r-Case/Headline/000085635.pdf.aspx?lang=en-AU

Is the new PT-14 housing that much different than the PT-11? If so, I'd be interested to see if they come up with a new dome for the pro zooms. Do you know if there's any 3rd party domes (other than Inon) for the those lenses that work with the Oly OMD housings?

Hi;

One big issue is that the flash unit that ships with the E-M1 MKII is very tall and you can't use one of the flip up ones. So it's going to have to be replaced with a smaller flash or an LED trigger.

Thanks,
Jack

Do you think that we'll be able to use the small flash of the EM1 M1 with the EM1 M2 ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom