Olympus OMD EM-1 MKII - Open Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've asked for some clarification on the 7-14 larger dome issue from Olympus US. Not sure anyone knows. That chart is from Japan, and they come up with parts that are not, nor never were, produced or sold outside of Japan. But to my knowledge that older larger port has not been sold for a long time.

As far as the flash/TTL only time will tell. Subal has shown off their housing which obviously uses a flash trigger. But I think that all of them will have some sort of optical TTL.

We are taking pre-orders on the Nauticam E-M1 housing. Pretty much sight unseen, but there is going to be a huge demand, so I wouldn't wait to get your order placed.
Nauticam Olympus E-M1 MKII Underwater Housing

I'm happy to keep a list for Subal housings, but as I have no pricing yet, I can't really take orders.

I can confirm the PT-EP11 port chart is correct. My E04 dome was probably on the shelf a while but there are still a few out there and the zoom gears are available from Adorama. The teeth are recessed into the ring on the 7-14 and 12-40, so the lens has to be inserted off-center and engaged laterally, but everything loads through the camera door and fits as advertised.

IMG_1837.JPG

As has been mentioned by Jack and others the PPO-E04 170mm port was first released by Olympus for the DSLR camera line. The first of these interchangeable lens DSLR cameras was the E-1 and the first Olympus housing was for the E-300 camera which came later. At that time Olympus began to release metal and glass ports for several of the excellent Olympus lenses including the 50mm macro and 7-14mm zoom. The Olympus housings have always been made by a third party vender but the ports were sourced elsewhere. The original E04 port like the one pictured above came with a removable shade that was designed for SLR and DSLR cameras with the 3/2 aspect ratio. As a result the taller 4/3 ratio caused vignetting at the 7mm end of the lens and had to be shaved down. These ports were sourced from a Japanese Co. called Athena. My understanding was that Athena was a bit difficult for US venders to deal with and Jack may be able to provide insight into that issue.

Athena appears to still be in business (link through to Athena Facebook page) and has an extensive line of ports for both of the Olympus port mounting designs. The current ports still have the threaded mount used with Olympus port adapter PAD-EP08. I have attached the website and some photos of the current port. You will see that the port shade has been redesigned to prevent the vignetting caused by the original port shade.

Not sure that Athena has a US dealer any more, again Jack may be able to shed some light on that issue.

You can explore the Athena web site at Athena-opt.com.

11229771_511628725654569_3113964997815562528_o.jpg
11229771_511628725654569_3113964997815562528_o.jpg
11951655_512481458902629_4873343026437742319_o.jpg

Last edited:
I would think the flash would work regardless (assuming it's hotshoe mounted...can't be bothered to check mine right now, since I've never even mounted the flash on my E-M1), and metering / TTL should work at least as well with the mk II as the mk I.

As has been mentioned by Jack and others the PPO-E04 170mm port was first released by Olympus for the DSLR camera line. The first of these interchangeable lens DSLR cameras was the E-1 and the first Olympus housing was for the E-300 camera which came later. At that time Olympus began to release metal and glass ports for several of the excellent Olympus lenses including the 50mm macro and 7-14mm zoom. The Olympus housings have always been made by a third party vender but the ports were sourced elsewhere. The original E04 port like the one pictured above came with a removable shade that was designed for SLR and DSLR cameras with the 3/2 aspect ratio. As a result the taller 4/3 ratio caused vignetting at the 7mm end of the lens and had to be shaved down. These ports were sourced from a Japanese Co. called Athena. My understanding was that Athena was a bit difficult for US venders to deal with and Jack may be able to provide insight into that issue.

View attachment 389943 View attachment 389943 View attachment 389944

Do you mean that the PPO-E04 port and the Athena port are identical? Here in Europe both are available, but the PPO-E04 costs less...

Wolfgang

Wolfgang, The issue in the US is that the Olympus PPO-E04 has not been in stock for some time. The Original PPO-E04 for Olympus 4/3 DSLR cameras was also lest expensive than the Athena branded port but they were the same port. Olympus America shows this port out of stock (not on back order) so I would not expect any more to be coming soon in the US.

@Phil:
Did you check in reality, whether it is possible to remove the camera (with lenses attached) from the PT-EP14 housing (I mean the "light-strong" Zuiko 12-40mm, 7-14mm and the 8 mm fisheye lenses)?
Or is the problem the same as with the nauticam housing (port and lenses have to be removed before it is possible to remove the camera (e.g. for changing battery))?

Wolfgang

Back
Top Bottom