Olympus PEN E-PL1 vs 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where2Next

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am upgrading my UW photog set-up from a point-and-shoot to a DSLR, and feel the Olympus PEN is a good route for me to go all things considered. I went to buy the PL1 and saw the PL2. The PL1 is on sale for about $420 and the PL2 is at $599. So I am wondering if the price difference is worth it? Has anyone had a chance to compare these two cameras. This one will probably last me a couple years, so I am thinking maybe I should bite the bullet and buy the PL2; however when comparing on the Olympus website I don't see any real difference between the two. Any thoughts?

Thanks! :D

Obviously I did not go back far enough! LOL Thanks.

I am upgrading my UW photog set-up from a point-and-shoot to a DSLR, and feel the Olympus PEN is a good route for me to go all things considered.

I hate to be the one to break it to you but the PEN camera is not a DSLR.

I have only been doing research on line for now, as I live an hour or so from any camera store - but both Sport Diver Magazine and the Olympus Website say it is a DSLR. (Plus all the other websites I have been reviewing) What makes you say it is not?

DSLR is a digital camera with a Single Lens Reflex, meaning it has a mirror in it so you can see through the lens when taking pictures. I don't have a need for it in my U/W photo.

PEN camera's don't have the "SLR" part, which is why they are smaller and cost less. With that said, they are a lot better than P&S, and only slightly behind DSLR (in my mind anyhow). They have a large sensor and interchangleable lens (similar to DSLR), lighter weight, and smaller size, which makes them better than DSLR, IMHO.

My personal opinion is M4/3 platform cameras are better suited for u/w photo than DSLR.

I went back and looked at my 2011 Gear Buyers Guide for Sport Diver. The Pen is listed under DSLRs. Upon closer reading it says "the power of a DSLR" - on the Olympus website it says "intuitive interface and DSLR image quality" - I say this is some deceptive marketing... but whatta ya gonna do.

I appreciate the SLR description, I am familiar with SLR, as my old fashion (circa 1980s) Pentex is the very best camera ever! At any rate, I appreciate the feedback about the four thirds being a better option for UW. I am trying to keep my whole set-up around $2500. When I saw the PEN - it seemed like a viable option had finally come on the market for me. I have really felt limited by my point and shoot over the last few years. I'm looking for a little more control (as usual LOL) so I guess I will stick with the PEN even though it is not a true DSLR.

Thanks for your opinion.

I went back and looked at my 2011 Gear Buyers Guide for Sport Diver. The Pen is listed under DSLRs. Upon closer reading it says "the power of a DSLR" - on the Olympus website it says "intuitive interface and DSLR image quality" - I say this is some deceptive marketing... but whatta ya gonna do. ...
There is actually nothing deceptive in that Olympus description. They use the exact same sensors in the PEN cameras that they do in their DSLRs and have the same image quality. They removed the mirror from the SLR and leveraged modern technology significantly to reduce the overall size and reduced the distance from the lens to the sensor, making it possible to make smaller lenses. This is turn gives them additional engineering advantages.

Well, lots to learn! I find the more I read, the more I am feeling overwhelmed. I am not traveling till the middle of May for my next dive trip; Therefore I don't have to rush into anything. I still have a little more time to figure things out. Thanks for the info. :D

I don't disagree that 4:3 cameras may have some advantages u/w over crop sensor DSLRs, namely size, weight and cost. The main disadvantage is that the lens manufacturers are not (yet) making the selection or quality of lenses for 4:3's that they do for DSRLs. Keep in mind too that shooting with a PEN is essentially like shooting with a DSLR in live-view mode. If you are going to use the camera for topside too don't disregard the advantages of framing your shot through the lens rather than with live-view.

IMHO for manual shooting u/w and topside I would still stick with the DSLR -- there are numerous advantages. And if you are debating between a DSLR and a PEN you should probably go with the DSLR. However, if you are considering a point-and-shoot system I think it is worth the small step up in price to go for a 4:3/PEN -- you will get a lot more camera for your money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom