Olympus Selling itsImaging Division

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I can forget about the cheaper Oly lenses or cameras come to that. I thought there would be a selloff but no sign of it yet. In fact, there seems to be more demand for 2nd hand gear than before. No idea why!

They've included a 100mm Pro macro in the planning . . . for folks heavily "invested" :wink: in M43 Olympus, this is mighty tantalizing (at least, for this folk).

I am not sure it is in the planning yet, the patent has been applied for but that is all that I can see. Why do you think a 100 macro would be great for UW? Long port and still 1:1, not many people are shooting 200 mm macro lens on full frame.
Bill

I am not sure it is in the planning yet, the patent has been applied for but that is all that I can see. Why do you think a 100 macro would be great for UW? Long port and still 1:1, not many people are shooting 200 mm macro lens on full frame.
Bill
Yeah, it would take a lot of clean water to have that much standoff, and the lighting might be more difficult too.

Agree the 60 (120) is far enough for me. 100mm would suit hand held macro shooters above water. Interested in what to use it for underwater.
One of the reasons the 30mm is so handy.

The 100 is in the "roadmap" as of a couple of weeks ago. Whether it would be useful underwater obviously depends on its capabilities--I'd be equally or more concerned with the fov for non-macro--but it certainly has terrestrial potential. Regardless, the plans to continue developing additional good lenses is a good sign, which was really my point. Ardy, do you reach for the 30 over the 60? I've only had it for one trip and didn't really get used to it. Pointers?

For topside it might be interesting particularly to the avant garde portrait guys, but for UW it is still not clear what the advantage is. I am looking forward to the new tele though but worry how much $ it is likely to be.
Bill

For me the 30 is the go to lens for blackwater shooting, easy to find the subject and with enough magnification to get good results. Of course with the 60 and an external diopter you get much more magnification. The last few trips we did and shooting here at home I have used only the 30 and been quite happy with it.
Bill

Thanks, Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom