Olympus SP-550 Uz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably a combination of size, shape and pricepoint. Graphic designers and focus groups have a lot to say about what products we get. If they like the angled look of a flip up flash or putting a hotshoe on top makes the camera look too square or bulky, off it comes. If something bumps the price by $25 and the consumer focus group says "I would pay $XXX.XX for this product" off it comes. Fortunately, there are more and more high quality ttl equipped slave strobes these days and I hear that the optical cords are improving as well. Many shops are now saying, "Why hard wire your strobe, our customers are doing great with optical cords on P & S cameras."

The specs list three underwater modes: macro, wide 1, and wide 2.

IMHO, zoom beyond 3x is useless underwater. Note, however, that I dive mostly in murky northern waters (around 38°N).

Say, hotshoe is not an issue - with street price of $500, means the additional zoom + dual image stabilization features cost more than $300, even more for underwater. I believe the PT-037 will be much more expensive than PT-030.
As maynard said, zoom beyond 3x is useless underwater - so, what we actually get from more than $300 difference ?

... a camera that has more usefullness onland while still being capable UW.

This photography thing, its not limited to below the surface :wink:

Wisnu:
As maynard said, zoom beyond 3x is useless underwater - so, what we actually get from more than $300 difference ?

Who said I was thinking of underwater? (smile)

I'm finding the 10x zoom lens on my old 750 fairly useless in taking pictures of birds on my daily walks. (The 4.0-meg CCD is not that limiting, but it won't content me forever, either.)

Much as I would like to replace my mu/Stylus-40, having to simultaneously replace the housing sends it way down my toy wish list.

The more information from SB and other sites did not help me to make a decision to purchase sp-350 + Pt-030 now or wait till March for almost double cost of 550 uz + Pt-037 - but my 20 cent coin did effectively - it said - one month waiting is not too long.

Diverdun,
I haven't have much chance to play with this camera; and usualy I never use digicam as videocam. I am quite happy with my SR100.
Since you asked, then I check it.
Yes, the optical zoom work "well"; but I don't think I will use the recording mode with max. optical zoom. Although it work well - but relatively slow, the picture quality during the lense moving is poor; not very quiete; I can hear the motor's noise - probably this one of the reason the optical zoom will be disabled if sound is set on.
In general I have no complain with SP-550 UZ as a topside camera. In fact much better than my C5000 and Dimage-Z5.
It take 4 second for the camera to be ready to take picture; The RAW model require 8 second before the next shot.
For underwater -do not know; still can not find the PT-037 here or available ex-stock at any online store. Next week I'll visit KL hope I can get PT-037 there; so I can play it for my next dive trip to Bali early April.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom