Olympus TG4 or TG870?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthewyui

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

I'm choosing between the 2 compact cameras and cannot decide which one is more suitable for me. I like macro photography and used the TG850 before which worked fine for me. Of course I saw a lot of positive reviews about TG4 and is interested to own one, but I haven't seen any reviews on the TG870.

Being a budget diver I would be grateful to get advices on which I shall choose cox I can get the TG870 (with housing) at 260USD cheaper than TG4 (with housing). In terms of macro photos is there a big difference in the performance of the 2 cameras?

Thanks a lot!

Hey Matthew,

Two very different cameras with the TG4 being much better and a great deal well worth the extra money !

I've had the TG3 for a few years and got the TG4 as soon as it came out ! I also use Nikon DSLR's on solo or fun dives with the wife but when I work, I always carry the TG4 with me and on many shots, to the untrained eye, people can't tell the difference, best point and shoot I ever owned.

You can attach lenses on the camera itself or wet lenses on the housing, the camera has 2 custom settings and since you like macro, the camera has a microscope mode that works extremely well and gives amazing results, just google it you'll see how great this mode is !

The camera itself will go down to 50 feet, and video is also of good quality plus the TG4 shoots Raw !

There are many reviews and examples out there, google away I'm sure you won't be disappointed with this camera !

Here is a good side-by-side comparison of the two cameras:

Olympus TG-870 vs Olympus TG-4 Detailed Comparison

It appears the biggest advantage of the TG-870 is cost.

The advantages of the TG-4 is a faster lens and shooting RAW which the TG-870 doesn't support.

Both have macro modes and underwater modes, but the TG-870 doesn't provide any type of manual modes like the aperture priority of the TG-4.

With a slower lens the TG-870 will use slower shutter speeds to get the same exposure vs the TG-4 which could have an affect on how sharp your images will be.

The TG-4 does really well for macro/close-up uw photography from my experience.

I have Tg4 and think the macro is its outstanding feature.

I had a TG1 and didn't like the quality, top side or underwater. A Mini Pen was then purchased and there is too much to learn and to lug around. I am now considering the TG4 with one question, can the white balance be manually set. That was an issue I had with the TG1, all my wide shots being blue/green.

Karloss:
My TG4 gave out the ghost a months after the warranty expired having actually been used only very little in those 13 months. It died a completely dry death during a dive. Never got wet, always dessicant in the housing all good until it stopped doing anything.
Haven't bothered with white balance as it allows raw capture / or I use a flash. But then I don't take the time to edit anyway (or learn how to do it well - at least not yet), so I guess I got plenty of off colored pictures including pretty blue as you can tell from my avatar. Just can't get myself to warm up on spending more time on the computer (that's what work's for...) I'll figure it out eventually.

But I liked the camera, even loved it and am happy with the results (for a compact anyway). Love the size and weight. Love real cameras too, bot don't see myself lugging all that gear and all the diving gear until I can devote serious time to the hobby. Until then, small is good. But since it died that quick I would prefer not to replace it and would prefer to upgrade instead (but to what would be harder to decide). But I am of course also invested in the housing and a few more accessories.. So, I may yet choose to send it in for repair after all and see what they say it will cost......

Anyway, yes it has a manual white balance function (how much help it is when deep enough I don't know) see TG4 manual page 38 & 40
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/TG4_English.pdf

If you are very serious about custom white balance underwater (w/o correction filter) and don't want to shell out the big bucks for a high end Canon DSLR based system, have a look at this article (also featuring the TG4) and also read the white balance part on the Canon GX7:
Best Underwater Compact Cameras for 2016

I picked up a TG-4 because my wife is pregnant and we figured we should have a camera. I haven't gotten it wet but I've used it a number of times and am pretty happy with it. It's not the cheapest thing ever but you can take a look at the Olympus Outlet site and pick up a refurb for a pretty steep discount:

TG-4 Red (Reconditioned) | Olympus
TG-4 Black (Reconditioned) | Olympus

That's where I got mine and I think there might be a small scratch on the casing but no other problems.

Karloss:
My TG4 gave out the ghost a months after the warranty expired having actually been used only very little in those 13 months. It died a completely dry death during a dive. Never got wet, always dessicant in the housing all good until it stopped doing anything.
Haven't bothered with white balance as it allows raw capture / or I use a flash. But then I don't take the time to edit anyway (or learn how to do it well - at least not yet), so I guess I got plenty of off colored pictures including pretty blue as you can tell from my avatar. Just can't get myself to warm up on spending more time on the computer (that's what work's for...) I'll figure it out eventually.

But I liked the camera, even loved it and am happy with the results (for a compact anyway). Love the size and weight. Love real cameras too, bot don't see myself lugging all that gear and all the diving gear until I can devote serious time to the hobby. Until then, small is good. But since it died that quick I would prefer not to replace it and would prefer to upgrade instead (but to what would be harder to decide). But I am of course also invested in the housing and a few more accessories.. So, I may yet choose to send it in for repair after all and see what they say it will cost......

Anyway, yes it has a manual white balance function (how much help it is when deep enough I don't know) see TG4 manual page 38 & 40
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/TG4_English.pdf

If you are very serious about custom white balance underwater (w/o correction filter) and don't want to shell out the big bucks for a high end Canon DSLR based system, have a look at this article (also featuring the TG4) and also read the white balance part on the Canon GX7:
Best Underwater Compact Cameras for 2016
Thanks for the info. While searching for my old UW housing I found a reason not to go with the TG4- an empty lense box and the cost associated with it. I have too much invested with mirrorless to go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom