OM-D rig step by step

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you started with the dome port, if you want to add zoom functionality to the 12-50, a zoom gear will cost 150.00. If you want to add macro functionality, you have to add a diopter (200), plus an adapter to mount the diopter on the dome port (200-250). So, you are spending an extra $600 or so just to add macro and zooming on the 12-50.

This is definitely not what I'm thinking of. I was thinking of getting the 4" dome now, since it can be used with both the 12-50 and the 9-18, and save a little bit of my upfront cost. As a next step, I'd buy the dedicated 12-50 port and gear to get true macro and all the flexibility you've successfully been able to convince me about. The cost for the 4" dome wouldn't be wasted, for as my third step I'd buy the 9-18 and the zoom gear. Identical bottom line, a little lower cost up front.

Or I could postpone the shopping spree until spring when I've saved up a little bit more cash and the light has returned to our waters... :coffee:

And people, I think Guy is going to post the pictures when he has the time. Don't scare him away from my thread with your nagging, now. He's been much to helpful for that to happen :wink:

This is definitely not what I'm thinking of. I was thinking of getting the 4" dome now, since it can be used with both the 12-50 and the 9-18, and save a little bit of my upfront cost. As a next step, I'd buy the dedicated 12-50 port and gear to get true macro and all the flexibility you've successfully been able to convince me about. The cost for the 4" dome wouldn't be wasted, for as my third step I'd buy the 9-18 and the zoom gear. Identical bottom line, a little lower cost up front.

Or I could postpone the shopping spree until spring when I've saved up a little bit more cash and the light has returned to our waters... :coffee:

And people, I think Guy is going to post the pictures when he has the time. Don't scare him away from my thread with your nagging, now. He's been much to helpful for that to happen :wink:

Storker, I'd think about the Macro port 65, which you can shoot two very useful UW lenses with...the 12-50 and the dedicated 60 mm macro. And you don't need an 800 dollar zoom port, you can get a zoom gear for the 12-50 which will work inside the macroport from unterwasserkamera for about 110 bucks. I just bought this zoom gear and tried it topside where it works fine, and will get it wet (in the pool) on Saturday to do some test shots. Alex Mustard has posted nice underwater shots on WP of the 12-50 in the MacroPort 65 with the Austrian made zoom gear which look great. He's also posted photos of the Pan 9mm lens behind the 3.5" dome port, which is 120 bucks cheaper than the 4" dome and has potentially greater flexibility than the larger dome, in case you are thinking about the Pan 9mm fisheye instead of the 9-18, since the 12-50 partially covers that same focal range.

In my mind I'd rather invest in lenses than ports, as long as the ports don't compromise the image quality. So my rig is economical, portable, and less bulky, and double dips on one port with two lenses. My system: EM5/Nauti, with 9mm pan fisheye in 3.5"port, then the 12-50 with zoom gear and 60 mm macro in the port 65. The only thing you lose here, is the ability to trigger the macro mode of the 12-50, but you still can shoot the entire focal length range. I don't know where you are diving, but there are many days, almost everywhere I've been, where visibility or cloudy weather favor shooting macro instead of wide angle, and the more people dive the more they fall in love with underwater marine creatures, many of which are best shot well above 50 mm.

But regardless of what you choose, investing several thousand on a system is something you want to consider carefully, and get as much high quality information as possible. If I were you, I would spend time reviewing lens and port options on the forum I mentioned above. The opinions there reflect the views of professional underwater photographers and highly experienced amateur superusers. Cuz the truth is, once you get your system wet in sea water, you'll take a big depreciation hit trying to resell it, so make the smartest system decisions you can up front.

OK, got it. you are right the dome will not be wasted if you add the 9-18 later. You will have some temporary inconvenience of having to zoom the 12-50 using camera buttons and only having 12 and 50 and no macro, but you will at least be shooting until you can add the 12-50 port. Still, I would save up that extra 350 for the up front purchase of the 12-50 port and add the dome later.

There was another post about using a fisheye lens and a macroport. However the 12-50 port also holds the 60mm macro perfectly, so no need to add more ports. Also, why buy a compromise port and sacrifice the macro versatility of the 12-50???? That just makes no sense as it is one of the best features of the lens and dedicated port. Also, I do not recommend fisheye over the 9-18. Fisheye is used by many pros, but is one-dimensional, difficult to master, and takes many dedicated dives. Results can be wonderful and unique by highly skilled photographers, but it is more of a niche compared to using a wide zoom like the 9-18. It is also very expensive. I have been shooting underwater for three years now (and on land for 35) and have not had the urge to get one yet. Maybe, I might add one in the future, but for someone more in the starting out phase like you, I don't think it is the best.

As for investing in lenses and saving on ports, I too would have agreed with that prior to my trip last week. The 12-50 port is an exceptional product that will actually improve your shooting experience and increase the variety of images you can make on a given dive. Really, I cannot imagine spending $350 on anything else that will improve the shooting experience so much.

Also, for Burhan, I am sorry i have not posted the photos yet but am slammed at work after a week away. Maybe tonight as things are finally calming down.

Also, for Burhan, I am sorry i have not posted the photos yet but am slammed at work after a week away. Maybe tonight as things are finally calming down.

You mean another sleepless night waiting for the pics???? :)

I hate going to work after few days of vacation time. Catching up with email is a job in itself.

I'd rather invest in lenses than ports, as long as the ports don't compromise the image quality. So my rig is economical, portable, and less bulky, and double dips on one port with two lenses. My system: EM5/Nauti, with 9mm pan fisheye in 3.5"port, then the 12-50 with zoom gear and 60 mm macro in the port 65. The only thing you lose here, is the ability to trigger the macro mode of the 12-50, but you still can shoot the entire focal length range.
Unless I change my mind - again :shakehead: - I'll probably have the OM-D/NA-EM5, the 12-50 in the dedicated flat port and the 9-18 in the 4" dome by the end of 2013. The 9-18 covers the WA range from ultrawide to wide-normal. If my calculations are correct, the FOV of the 12-50 behind a flat port starts at the 9-18's narrowest FOV (equivalent to 35mm on film) and adds (semi)macro capabilites to the setup. Right now I'll rather practice underwater WA with a rectilinear lens since I'm used to rectilinears from my topside photography than invest the time required to learn to use a fisheye properly. That's two ports and two lenses covering all angles from ultrawide to short tele, plus macro. I'm also considering a color correction filter or two (magenta and/or #85 warming) to increase the red channel signal and make color balancing easier if I'm not carrying a flash in relatively shallow waters.

The 9-18 will probably be used topside as well, together with the 40-150 and the 20/1.7. One wide zoom, one tele zoom and a fast wide-normal should cover most of the bases for travel photography topside.

If I really get into macro photography, I can get the 60mm later, and if Guy's right I won't have to invest in another port for it since it apparently works just fine inside the 12-50 port.

A few 12-50mm test shots. So versatile that everything else is just a specialty lens underwater...

Macro:
1250mm-1.jpg

12mm:
1250mm-2.jpg

Macro:
1250mm-3.jpg

42mm:
1250mm-4.jpg

This question may have been asked before but can you switch the 12-50 lens in and out of the macro mode U/W while using the dedicated port with the Nauticam housing or is it something that needs to be decided on at the surface before going in U/W?

WIth the Nauticam port and gear for the 12-50mm, there's a knob on the port that you turn to switch between macro and zoom underwater. It's a very positive and very quick to switch between macro and zoom. The knob on the left hand side of the housing is used to zoom in and out when not in macro mode (which is always at 43mm). The zoom is electronic, there's no manual zoom capability underwater.

WIth the Nauticam port and gear for the 12-50mm, there's a knob on the port that you turn to switch between macro and zoom underwater. It's a very positive and very quick to switch between macro and zoom. The knob on the left hand side of the housing is used to zoom in and out when not in macro mode (which is always at 43mm). The zoom is electronic, there's no manual zoom capability underwater.

Thank you!!

How close can you get to the subject with the lens on 12mm and on 50mm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom