OM-D rig step by step

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olympus 12-50mm macro image width (long edge) at closest focus underwater (flat port):
Macro: 34mm (approx. working distance 68mm)
12mm: 184mm (approx. working distance 87mm)
50mm: 84mm (approx. working distance 305mm)

Last edited:
Olympus 12-50mm macro image width (long edge) at closest focus underwater (flat port):
Macro: 34mm (approx. working distance 68mm)
12mm: 184mm (approx. working distance 87mm)
50mm: 84mm (approx. working distance 305mm)

Thank you.

Doesn't this mean that some sort of a diopter is needed for a CFWA shot?

At LAST, here are my shots from Curacao taken with the 12-50 in the port. Everything from scenic to fish portraits to small things, to true 1:1 macro with the shrimp and the interior of the feather duster. The entire range is represented from 12mm to 50mm, many length in between, and of course macro. Perhaps the best idea of this lens versatility is of the purple sponges at night, and then the close-up of the tiny brittle star that was on one of the sponges, all with a simple twist of a knob to get macro. There is one semi CFWA shot of the feather duster showing also the surroundings. You can do CFWA at the wider end of the lens, but not like some specialty set-ups. I would think a very mild diopter would give excellent cfwa, but the lens is pretty good "as is", yet another dimension. Enjoy!

Storker, if this does not persuade you to start with this set-up as step one, I don't know what will!

! curacao 12 50 for web 14.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 13.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 12.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 11.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 10.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 9.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 8.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 7.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 6.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 5.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 4.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 3.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 2.jpgcuracao 12 50 for web 15.jpgA

Attachments

• curacao 12 50 for web 1.jpg
    curacao 12 50 for web 1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 538
Beautiful pictures Guyharrison! . I just got my OMD in a Nauticam Housing and I also have for the moment a single lens:The Olympus 12-50 with the macro port. One question, how about the performance of the battery of the camera?
Thanks

Thanks, everyone

I did shoot some with the 60mm in the 12-50 port, and also some with the 7-14mm in the dome port. Will try to post those over the weekend.

AS for battery life, If you turn of the LDC switching (see posts on wetpixel for how to do that), I found the battery life to be very good, easily for two one hour + dives and maybe longer but I changed out the battery every two dives just to be safe. This is shooting 50 or shots per dive using flash all the time. I have a spare Oly original battery and definitely suggest you carry one. With two, you are easily good for four dives.

The battery lasts a long time but dies very quickly, so you cannot rely on the camera battery indicator. If the battery is close to the end, the battery indicator might show "full" when you start the dive, and then the camera suddenly goes dead after 30 minutes (this happened to me, once). So my rule will be no more than two dives or two hours and then switch batteries.

Hello everyone

I just joined this forum. I am considering buying a EM-5 in Nauticam housing with the Nauticam 12-50mm port. After reading all of this thread I came to the conclusion that it was the best starter kit. I'm still not sure because that's a loooot of money for me, but that's another story :wink:

At the moment I have a G12 in Canon housing with a single Inon S2000 and the Inon UCL 165 M67. My understanding is that the 12-50mm Nauticam port has a 77mm thread. This of course wont fit my Inon lens (67mm thread). Has anyone tried a stepdown ring for that? I'm thinking vignetting might be an issue (having never seen the 12-50mm lens, I dont know what the actual diameter of the lens is, if it's small enough, vignetting might not be a problem when zoomed in in macro mode).

Also, how would you compare this with my G12 setup? My original plan was to buy a new housing and a wide angle lens for my G12 as I now work in Komodo and I wanted to fit a manta in my screen with the strobe still reaching it. I know the S2000 isn't very strong, but getting two Z240s or two YS D1 would be very expensive. The cost of a good G12 housing is very high, even second hand. So is the cost of a wide angle lens. I then considered the Sony RX-100, but that would have cost even more (I havent used the RX-100 but it looks a lot like the Canon S100/110, which I find too small and not convenient to use in manual mode underwater).

I'm now thinking, if I'm going to spend money, might as well spend it on something very good. So the EM-5 might be the best choice as size and cost are an issue for me. I was (almost) considering a Nikon D7000 but the cost of the housing scared me! I also need something relatively small as I occasionally take my camera when I guide (I work as a divemaster), so I need to be able to clip it to my BCD and have my hands free. My G12 with the arms and strobe was not too bulky. I imagine this EM-5 setup will be bigger, but manageable. Am I wrong?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light these various issues.

Noz

Back
Top Bottom