Oman: After the diving, where (and how) should we go trekking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Mr frogoutofwater and I are planning a 2-week trip to Oman in late February. We're planning to divide our time among diving (3-4 days), trekking (2-4 days) and sightseeing (whatever time we have left). I've found some useful threads on this board about diving, but does anyone have any suggestions about where to go trekking and how to organize it? We'll rent a car, but we don't know whether we can arrange the trekking ourselves as a series of day walks from a hotel/B&B/guesthouse, or whether we need to arrange for a guide and someone (or some-mule) to carry our stuff on a more complex itinerary. Mr frogoutofwater is an experienced mountain climber, and would like to get some altitude under his feet (of course, we'll stay at sea level for a day or so post-dive before climbing). I'm willing to climb any path that a mule would go up or down (but nothing requiring a rope). I'd prefer accommodation with ensuite facilities (doesn't have to be fancy as long as it's clean), but would consider camping for a night if the only other options are either a) communal dorms with basic facilities down the hall or b) a shepherd's gite with facilities shared with goats (our recent Moroccan experience). For the diving and sightseeing part of the holiday, we'd prefer something a little more upscale for our accommodations (but our budget doesn't stretch to the Chedi). Suggestions for rental car outfits, locally based trek organizers, trek itineraries, dive shops and accommodation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom