Oman - Musandam or others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el-gee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All
Thanks for your attention!
I'm planning a two-week trip to Oman perhaps including one week of diving. Either shore-based or live-aboard. I've always romantically dreamt of Musandam but now upon researching I'm realizing that it is not necessarily the best - am I right?
I am mostly driven by pelagic species. Sharks, Rays..but also other pelagic animals. In other words, macro is not necessarily my main focus.

Would you ladies/gents have any recommendations on where to go?

Cheers!
El-Gee

Hi All
Thanks for your attention!
I'm planning a two-week trip to Oman perhaps including one week of diving. Either shore-based or live-aboard. I've always romantically dreamt of Musandam but now upon researching I'm realizing that it is not necessarily the best - am I right?
I am mostly driven by pelagic species. Sharks, Rays..but also other pelagic animals. In other words, macro is not necessarily my main focus.

Would you ladies/gents have any recommendations on where to go?

Cheers!
El-Gee

Daymaniyat Islands are probably the best diving in the whole region. They can be reached either from Muscat or if you want less of a boat journey then travel to Al Sawadi Beach Resort and dive from there.

However if you like big pelagics then maybe look at heading to Salalah where they have resident Humpback pods and Manta rays, its a bit of a trek from Muscat though (900km).

When do you plan on diving Oman?

I can only say that Salalah/Dhofar is worth trying before you descide whats the best of the region

The time of year is important for Salalah. It's Khareef season now and nobody will be diving Salalah until October.

You can see pelagics in the Daminyats. But Oman is not the best place for sharks.

For shore diving I would try Sheikh Sifah near Bandar Khayran, or the Turtle Beach coast (seaward, not the bays) near Sur. Both are pristine, rarely dived by cattle boats, easy swims to the drop point, and accessible via saloon car.

I think by now you've done your trip already, but I vote +1 for Musandam. Might be biased though, as I'm working there :wink:
Perhaps not the best place for pelagics (especially not sharks) although it's not uncommon to see devil and eagle rays on certain sites. Barracuda, jacks and other 'bigger' fish are also seen frequently.

So far no whalesharks this season though :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom