Omega III not produced anymore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2stroketony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Spoke with a Huish Rep the other day and he said the Omega III is not being produced anymore yet will be suported. The Hollis 500 remains in production.

I like my Hollis 500se!
It doesn't have much of a fan base, but I think it's great. And contrary to the Omega, it breathes very dry.

Hollis 500 for me too. Love them.

I picked up a used 500se to try as an alternative to an Omega, hoping the 500se would breathe drier. It was a small improvement, but still too wet for my liking. A DIY full rebuild including new exhaust valve did not help, and the exhaust cover was a bit stiff from age which resulted in splitting during reinstallation.

But I really like how smooth and easy they breathe, perhaps I will pick up another to try and hope for better results. If I could get a dry breathing 500se, it could easily sit on my top 5 favorite second stage list. Good to hear that it has potential.

Raise your cracking effort just a touch.
Maybe ask your LDS to order you a new exhaust mushroom valve. Maybe a tiny irregularity in the skirt.

Raise your cracking effort just a touch.
Maybe ask your LDS to order you a new exhaust mushroom valve. Maybe a tiny irregularity in the skirt.
I tried a new exhaust valve and looked closely at sealing surfaces, still wet. Which leads me to think your suggestion of cracking effort set too low is a possibility, I do have tendency to tune close to the edge.
Thanks for the ideas!

I always liked the idea of the Omega, but never had the opportunity to try one. That Hollis looks interesting. What is the story with Hollis? My impression was that they were an offshoot of Oceanic at the start, but that 500SE has a real "Dacor" look to it.

What is the story with Hollis?

Bob Hollis started the Hollis division to sell equipment oriented to the technical diving market. The original Omega, which I still use, was an improved version of the Tekna's servo regulator. Tekna was nearing bankruptcy when Bob purchased it.

The main difference between the Hollis and the Oceanic servo regulators is the Omega uses a combined diagram and radial exhaust assembly. Many of the internal parts are interchangeable with the original Omega.

IMO, the main reason the Omega 3 failed is the bazar decision to use a proprietary hose, which is something a tech-oriented market would never consider. As a general rule, only advanced divers are comfortable investing in non-conventional regulator designs like servo-valves and side exhausts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom