Omer Excalibur vs JBL 38" magnum special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morgan84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Buying my first harpoon. I have done some research, and ive narrowed it down to these two guns:

O.M.E.R Excalibur 2000
JBL 38" special woody magnum

The reason why i chose these two are simply because they both seem to fit my needs, such as the size of the fish and their pricetag, not to mention they are both easily accesible for me as the local shops sell them.

So, they both seem fine to me, but im looking for someones personal opinions on these guns. perhaps help me choose the right gun.

Ill be buying a more expensive gun later, so please keep the thread to these two guns.

My buddy owns Excalibur. I'm not sure if it's a 2000, but I'm sure it's at least similar. He likes it, but 30" / 75cm is extremely short. That won't be very effective unless you're shooting in freshwater, or small fish in the ocean. I've got a JBL Woody 63" which I love. My brother shoots the same gun, but in a 42" model, and does pretty well with it. It cost him around $150 which from what I've found is about what you're looking to pay for the Excalibur. I would try to save until you can at least get a 40" gun if you're going to be shooting in salt water.

Jbl Woody 38-Special Reef Gun 42" 4W38

Don't let me steer you away from Omer though. The only negative thing I know about the Excalibur from my friend is that it's a pain loading it - there isn't a butt plate so that you can hold it against your chest, leg, etc. And loading in the water is twice as hard as on land.

Hope that helps!

Many sites have some deals on the original 38 Special Woody 4W38. They are trying to clear them out because that trigger is no longer made. All of the Woody and Woody Elite guns now come with the new M-6 trigger. Obviously, these would not be available on clearance.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom