OMG - The Sea Lions, the Sea Lions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I am in love with that ZOOM picture. It's classic.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the luxury of diving with sea lions yet, even though they are in the area. I've seen the om the surface, but I've never come across one down below. Would love to, though.

Mo2vation:
Its not the camera. You know that, correct? Most of this stuff is right place, right time. The camera just stays out of the way.

Nikon D70, SINGLE Ikelite DS-125 Strobe (the dual sync cord died the dive before). For this shot, Nikon 12-24mm lens (my sealion lens), Ike dome port. Shot in Manual, PS CS2 for post.

Its just stuff. The important thing is seeing the bedlam and getting the shot.

Glad you like it. It sure was a lot of fun!

---
Ken
Thanks for the info, Ken...but I've got to humbly disagree with the thought that the camera's capabilities don't have an affect on the end result of a great shot. This has got to be especially so for action shots.....if a camera has a 0.5, 0.75, or 1.5 second lag between pressing the button & the shutter actuating, the shot could very well be lost....I believe that the same is true for the shutter speed on action shots.....the images from a camera that has a .8-second shutter v. one with a .0002-second shutter will be quite different....it comes down to using the right tool for the job.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that the photographer's got to have an eye for the shot...just as you pointed out on your website, a person can't stir emotion from playing the piano if they don't know "how" to play it....it's the knowledge of the equipment's capabilities and the application of your artistic eye that make your shots so wonderful. Right now, I don't have either. But I'm inspired by your shots. I see content that's appealing to me...I feel excitement and out of breath from the sense of chaos or thrill that these sea-lion shots evoke....I want to be able to capture the experiences of my dives in a similar manner......but right now, I'm just a wanna-be sculptor standing in front of a rock, holding a paintbrush......

Best Regards,
bob

Awesome, awesome shots and it looks like a great dive!! You're making me antsy for our Channel Islands trip in July!! :wink:

We don't get the 'lions up here, we're pretty much stuck with harbour seals at most of our dive sites on the coast. Got buzzed by one last week, in fact! (clearer water than usual plus shiny fins equals "hmmm...is that a meal?" from a seal's point of view..lol) He/she tagged my right fin (which isn't a pleasant experience when diving a few feet from where white sharks routinely attack surfers! No fatal bites..but we've had unprovoked attacks two years running now at the Jetty in Florence, OR), then arced around in front of my buddy and I...nearly gave her a heart attack...:wink:.

Cheers,
Austin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom