Omniswivel failure - yikes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched to the angled adapter on a 60" hose immediately after my swivel o-ring was violently extruded underwater 18 years ago. I never even considered trying to "rebuild" something that prone to failure (via design).

Had one open up and extrude the main o-ring on me on a dive. New reg, newer diver, probably the 3rd dive on it. The 'lock screw' obviously had not been tightened. Factory/assembly mistake. Easy to overhaul. I've never used any special tools. I now blue loctite the lock screw. No problems since. The Seattle Aquarium uses them on their dive tanks. Those things get hundreds of dives/year with lots of divers. If they were an inherent problem they would not be on the kit.
Yup, tank sure drains fast.

Yes, yes, I have the angled adapters (70 degree) on my two five-foot hoses (60") that I use on my sidemount. I've not used it on anything shorter.

Atomic Aquatics swivel hoses don't appear to have the same issues, at least none I've ever heard or read about.

of importance is that the o-ring that you said failed has nothing to do with it being on a swivel. That's the same o-ring on the end of the hoses that no one ever bothers to change out either.

While the ball swivels can back out, it is usually due to improper assembly and not using blue loctite on the screw that holds the two halves together. Sometimes the ones from asia didn't have the loctite seat properly or due to the temp fluctuations on their ride over it loosened up. Any new ones that I use get that screw backed out and new loctite applied. Had one back out on me, and haven't had one since.

The elbows have a different failure mode that is a lot more entertaining to watch. The two halves of the elbows screw together, and especially the cheap ones from china like to strip threads when assembled improperly due to over torque and shoot the regulator out from the end of the hose. That's a hoot and a half to watch underwater...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom