OMS 32lbs Single Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveJo127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not too long ago I purchased an OMS single tank wing to build a backplate harness. I bought mainly it because of the price point ($262), which is less than the other brands in it's price range such as HOG and Dive Rite. The only thing is that I couldn't find any reviews on it anywhere, so I kind of took a risk in buying.

I've got about 12 dives on it as of this post. So far so good. I don't really have any complaints about it. Wing material seems to be durable enough but I have yet to see if it will stand the test of time.

So does anybody else have this wing? Has it stood the test of time? Other thoughts? I'll leave a pic below.

IMG_0098.JPG

Maybe read this for background first: oms wings
Not too long ago I purchased an OMS single tank wing to build a backplate harness. I bought mainly it because of the price point ($262), which is less than the other brands in it's price range such as HOG and Dive Rite. The only thing is that I couldn't find any reviews on it anywhere, so I kind of took a risk in buying.
No risk. Well assuming that the slight "Yankee cachet" that comes with OMS doesn't mess with you.
... I have yet to see if it will stand the test of time.
The old ones never die. The new ones look pretty good too.
So does anybody else have this wing?
Tons of old ones up here...
... Other thoughts? ...
Yeah, two.
1) The slots won't work with a Freedom Plate.
2) Get an Oxycheq if you are a Yankee trying to "pass" in the south. :wink:

-see pic (30# Oxycheq vs 32# OMS): Oxycheq OMS.JPG

I use an oms wing. May not be this exact one but very similar. My first thought when seeing this was,,,, are the wing nuts holding on an STA? Are you using a STA and if so why. If I am correct this wing does not use an STA, It has centering devices on the tank side of the wing to do the same as an STA. I use mine on a DSS plate and after using the DSS wing I found 2 things I did not like about it. one was you cant change the bladder and the other was the inflator hose was centered behind the neck. I use both oms and oxycheq for those reasons. I notice very little bubble movement with both the oxy and the oms. I use 8" tanks and they both trim me fine.

...//... Are you using a STA and if so why. ...//...
Yeah, that wing mates with an STA (single tank adapter). Why? Honestly, I think that the STA just keeps things from squishing into a pile.

It makes swapping tanks a bit easier for the novice. It comes at a cost, though. Pushes the tank away from your back.

OP: Oxycheq and Freedom Plate (if you can get one...)

Yeah, that wing mates with an STA (single tank adapter). Why? Honestly, I think that the STA just keeps things from squishing into a pile.

It makes swapping tanks a bit easier for the novice. It comes at a cost, though. Pushes the tank away from your back.

OP: Oxycheq and Freedom Plate (if you can get one...)

I have absolutely have no problem switching tanks with the wings with the built in sta's. why would anyone want he extra paarts associated with a metel sta, l;et alond use an sta whent he wing does nost require it?

Is there a reason the buckle is on the right side of the waist belt?

Is there a reason the buckle is on the right side of the waist belt?
Not really now that you mention it. All the instructional vids and pics I saw had it on the right side and recommended a left hand release since weight belts are right handed. Hasn't been a problem.
2) Get an Oxycheq if you are a Yankee trying to "pass" in the south. :wink:
View attachment 375164
Well, I live in the deep south so I'm not very worried about blending in here lol. The wing probably wouldn't help me blend in up in "yankee land" because my accent would give me away. I certainly wouldn't have minded buying a nice expensive wing like Oxycheq or Halcyon, but I'm a poor 20-something and was trying to build a bc quick without spending over $600.

Last edited:
And yes, it does have an OMS STA attached (the backplate is OMS as well). Hasn't been a hindrance for me at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom