OMS BC/W setup. What do I need to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the wing you use. I have a Halcyon single tank wing. It doesn’t have slots for cam bands, so you MUST use a STA

Hi Marie!

I think I'm going to get Halcyon! But which backplate should I get? Aluminum or Steel?
I plan on diving in the Bahamas in September or November (or both) and planning to go to LA during labor's day weekend. Mexico, Carribeans, Pacific coast of california, Hawaii will be my ground for diving! Oh also going to the Philippines this winter.. so I'll be all around.. I probably need to buy both I assume?

Depends on the wing you use. I have a Halcyon single tank wing. It doesn’t have slots for cam bands, so you MUST use a STA
Looks like neither Halcyon nor Oxycheq small backplates have cutouts for the cam bands, so both would require a STA, even if whatever brand wing one selects does have cam band slots. Hmmmm, there adds another pound of weight! <darn>

Hi Marie!

I think I'm going to get Halcyon! But which backplate should I get? Aluminum or Steel?
I plan on diving in the Bahamas in September or November (or both) and planning to go to LA during labor's day weekend. Mexico, Carribeans, Pacific coast of california, Hawaii will be my ground for diving! Oh also going to the Philippines this winter.. so I'll be all around.. I probably need to buy both I assume?

The difference between plate material is weight only. Halcyon small SS plate is only about 4lb. The small AL is about 1.5lb. difference is 2.5lb, hardly make a difference. No real reason to buy both. Pick one that you find a better deal on.

You can order Halcyon singles wings with the cam slots now. Also, you can have older ones retrofitted by Halcyon for $50.

Both my 20lb and my 30lb Eclipse have cam band slots.

The difference between plate material is weight only. Halcyon small SS plate is only about 4lb. The small AL is about 1.5lb. difference is 2.5lb, hardly make a difference. No real reason to buy both. Pick one that you find a better deal on.

There is no “better deal” on the short plate. Used ones are unicorns. You have to bite the bullet and buy new. Both worth every penny.

There is no “better deal” on the short plate. Used ones are unicorns. You have to bite the bullet and buy new. Both worth every penny.

Not easy, but not impossible if you don't need it immediately. I just bought an AL off from eBay a month or so nafo, look to be displayed plate, new older stock plate with circular bottom hole instead of oval, H harness included for $170.

They are out there. Supply is low for sure, but demand is low too. Once you saw it you just buy it now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom