• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

On a NDL dive, which computers' NDLs are not affected by GFLo?

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by Jay, Jan 15, 2019.

1. KenGordon

KenGordon Rebreather Pilot

Clearly if it protects from a fast ascent it should protect for a normal ascent. But if it protects for just a normal ascent and if fast ascent will bend a diver due to exceeding the limits at the surface then divers likely to suffer from fast ascents are not so well protected.

Obviously it is all points on a probability curve, but personally I’d want to define it as allowing a direct (fast) ascent to the surface. Going to the surface should never be required, but the point of no stop diving is to allow for mistakes.

2. atdotde

atdotde Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I believe that popping like a cork is never a good option. If you want to protect yourself for that case your dives will either be very short or very shallow. 10m/min is both reasonable and can look painfully slow.

3. huwporter

huwporter DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Have you not seen all those tv programmes and adverts featuring "divers" who swim straight up towards the surface full speed at the end of their dive? That is how we do it, you know! :wink:

4. Jay

Jay Need to dive more!

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Updating the list with Mares Genius being the latest addition. I'd like to get the SP HUD info, but I think it's pretty clear that GFLo basically does not affect NDL in a NDL dive.

GFLo basically* does not affect NDL on a NDL dive
    (source)
    Shearwater
    Dive Rite's discontinued Nitek - Q (post#2)
    Deep 6 (post#93 and via PM)
    Garmin Descent (from a Descent diver via PM)
    TDC-3 (email and post#69)
    Seabear H3 (the link in post#126)
    Heinrichs Weikamp (post #4 of StuartV's link in post#126)
    Dive Soft (post#122)
    AV1 (post#123) <--?provisional (post#135)
    Mares - Genius (from Mares tech info email)

GF Lo affects NDL on a NDL Dive
    none yet

Unknown (yet) but do have custom GFs (i.e. easy to know if GFLo affects NDL)
    Ratio/SEAC (Tech+ has custom GFs)
    Scubapro - HUD (anyone got access to play with one?)
    Suunto EON Steel <-- need to wait for 16C implementation later this year.

Unknown but doesn't have custom GFs (probably impossible to discover)
    Liquivision Lynx

*basically means for all intents and purposes e.g: stops clear as you arrive at them, or, there is only a small unique window (e.g. a few meters to the surface) etc etc .... and rather than making a blanket statement which could be argued is technically incorrect ... leading to ambiguity of what the results practically mean for other divers that haven't read the whole thread in detail.