On Land Surface Interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Straegen

New Fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a nice Carib destination with a relatively short flight from Florida that has either great shore dives or surface intervals on land (I get sea sick very easily). Something with a great beach would make the wife happy. I have Roatan, Curacao and Bonaire on the list but are there others I should consider?

Thanks!

There's not a lot of shore dives on Roatan and the best of those are at the AI resorts - Coocoview, Reef House etc. Which don't have a great beach - or really any beach at all. The best beach is in West Bay but there's no shore diving there except one shallow site. Some of the boats - esp. from the West End - do return to the dock between dives so some of those are short trips. They all try to do 2 dives between around 9AM-Noon then afternoon dives.

The only longer rides from that area are when you run to sites like the Aguila or Spooky Channel - or the drift dives off the west end of West Bay. Or if they go around the island to dive Mary's Place but you can also drive over to Barefoot Divers for that - it's 5mins. off their dock. Barefoot Cay has a pretty nice beach also - they treat it for sand flies. Which is the other big problem on most Roatan beaches - even with Deet we were bit up pretty good by the end of the week.

Betweeen Curacao and Bonaire Curacao has the better beaches by far. There's a lot of them and many are also shore dive sites. You can see a lot of them here. Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands

The only really decent beaches on Bonaire are at Plaza Resort or Harbour Village - maybe Eden Beach if your wife doesn't want to go too far into the water. Pink Beach is about the only public beach I know of on Bonaire that's also a dive site and calling it a beach is IMO a stretch since there's ironshore at the waterline.

Another advantage Curacao has is that many of the beaches have improvements, i.e. shade, a snack shop, a beach operator etc. Many also have a dive operator on site for tanks etc. You do pay a small usage fee at some of them to use the facilities - waived if you rent tanks usually. Dive sites are farther apart on Curacao so you'll be driving a little more between them. On Bonaire once you leave the resort areas there are no sites with any facilities at all. Both have basically the same dives as they're on the same reef just 50 miles apart. Dives on Curacao were a little more diverse IMO - a lot of Bonaire's south side starts looking pretty similar after a few days.

Another more expensive option for both is Grand Cayman. There's at least a dozen shore dives - many with a dive operator on them and Seven Mile Beach is a nice stretch of sand. However there's no shore diving off SMB - the reef is too far out. And if you stay in that area, you will have to drive a short distance north or south to any of the shore dive sites - several are clustered on the North wall and others are in/south of Georgetown.

Curacao and The Dive Bus is the current front runner. We are pretty lazy on vacation so the idea of someone driving us around to dive sounds great. The $400 flights aren't horrible either.

Would still like to hear of some other places... maybe St Croix or some other decent dive location with on land surface intervals.

You really can't go wrong with the Dive Bus - Mark and Suzy are excellent. She spent about 20 mins. with us one morning detailing the best of several sites - after we'd both decided that our schedules wouldn't mesh so we could use them.

If you plan to stay in that area, Lions Dive, Sunscape (the AI), or one other resort I can't recall also have shore dives - Ocean Encounters is onsite at both. As does the Hilton/Marriott farther west in Piscadera Bay - but the reef is farther out there and it's not the best dive. Caribbean Sea Sports is their on-site operator.

The Marriott is one of the nicest I've been to - and I'm a Renaissance member - the Hilton is older and has been charitably called "a dump" by others who've stayed there. Blue Bay Resort has a good wall dive but that may be too far west for the Dive Bus to pick up - I know they pick up in PBay.

DiverSteve is right - Curacao's shore dives (especially on the west side) are very diverse and interesting. You can get your SIT time driving from one site to the next or having lunch at one of several fun restaurants along the way.

The Dive Bus has a great reputation so you can't go wrong there.

Also, check out Bas Harts Diving. They offer primarily diving on the west side and offer pick up and drop off so you pretty much have a guide for the day on the surface and on the reefs. I've been to all of the sites they list on their website and they are all outstanding.

I've seen some of Bas's pictures (he provides them free of charge) and they are amazing. You can see some of them on his website: BasHartsDiving.com

Anyway - have a great time where ever you go!

Grand Turk fits the bill, so does Salt Cay if you really want to be "out there". No shore dives but 5min boat rides at most.

Grand Turk looks interesting but also expensive. Seems the best places to dive that fit this bill tend to have some really pricey food.

A lot of the Cozumel dive ops do their surface intervals at a pier.

Scuba Club Cozumel does not!

Cozumel is on the list. If it had a decent resort in the south I am sure that is where we would end up.

You will like Mark at the Dive Bus. Great instructor and runs a good shop. But its not exactly a short flight from Florida.
Consider Grand Turk for good shore diving and SI on land. You will need to fly to Provo, then puddle hop over.
Let me know if I can help, got great hotel and dive ops through out the Carib.
But apart from Grand Turk. Roatan, Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba(if you like wrecks).

Cheers, shout if you need more advise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom