On-line field guide for fish & nudibranchs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too think this is a major "plus". Great, great job!

Bill Powers

Quite an undertaking...this is exactly what I was looking for! I come to this forum almost everyday, I can't believe I never noticed this sticky until now. No longer will I have to tell people: "I saw garibaldi, bat rays, starfish, ummm, some silver fish, uhhh, a black and yellow fish, some really thin lookin' starfish and some, ummm, grayish fish." Thanks for taking the time to create this AND post it online.

Nice job Scott! You are becoming quite an encompassing source.

very nice thanks

Awesome - thanks

Everyone -thanks so much for the compliments that you have left.

After putting so much work into the field guide, it makes it all worth it to see so many people using it.

That reminds me - I have to update the field guide with all of the cool pelagic critters we found on all of our blue water dives!

Scott

I was diving off of Torrance/Redondo beach 3 weeks ago and saw what appeared to be some kind of nudibranch whose only odd characteristic was it had a sail like appendage on it's back.
It was very large for a nudibrach like 6-8 inches and it was a dark maroon color.
A buddy I was with told me it was not a nudibranch, but something else.
I went thru all the pics in the link in the OP, but did not see anything like this.

I was diving off of Torrance/Redondo beach 3 weeks ago and saw what appeared to be some kind of nudibranch whose only odd characteristic was it had a sail like appendage on it's back.
It was very large for a nudibrach like 6-8 inches and it was a dark maroon color.
A buddy I was with told me it was not a nudibranch, but something else.
I went thru all the pics in the link in the OP, but did not see anything like this.
Hi Josh,
It sounds like you saw a California Sea Hare, Aplysia californica.

It's a mollusc with no external shell, but not a nudibranch.

Sometimes they're really small: (photography by Kenneth Kopp.)
74845830_qG91Bako.jpg

Most of the time diver's see larger ones. (Thanks, Wikipedia)

800px-Aplysia66-300.jpg

Dr. Bill wrote a fun essay in his Diving Dry with Dr. Bill series: LINK HERE

Vet's Park in Redondo Beach is a good place to see them that's easily accessible from shore.

I just love 'em!

Enjoy the fun!

~~~~~
Claudette

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together. I am so happy to know it's here and so easy to view / identify the animals :medal:. I am going to get a lot of use out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom