On my way to Key Largo! Looking for suggestions for evening activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachita

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm leaving for Key Largo this Tuesday for a wreck diving course with Ocean Divers.:D I chose them based on recommendations on this forum and after interviewing several operators by phone. I was impressed with their focus on safety.

I'm staying at the Marina del Mar and was wondering what to do in the evenings. I'm traveling alone and would like to meet people for dinner. Any suggestions welcome!

Johanna

After all the day workers either drive or take the bus back to the mainland where they can afford to live the bars fill up. Other than that, I can't help you out.

Thanks Garrobo! Any good local bars to recommend?

Welcome to Key Largo, Chachita! :wavey: and have fun during your class with OD. Hope you enjoy Key Largo's has great wrecks and hope you have a chance to catch some of our famous reefs as well.

Check out Sharkey's Pub (next to OD) on the canal & walking distance to your hotel, it's a very Keyzy institution.

Also the last Tues of every month (this week BTW) is paella night at Calypso's where the only thing on the menu is paella made in a 4ft diameter pan over the fire pit in front of all the customer in their open air restaurant on the water. Tasty and fun!

There isn't much night life in Key Largo like in Key West. We have a lot of great eateries. Every month there are educational/social events hosted by the History of Diving Museum (MM 83) and at REEF HQ (MM98.3) ( At the moment I don't recall which night).

Don't miss our sunsets on the Bayside. I recommend Sundowners (MM104) or Bayside Grill (MM 99.5) which I walk to often.

I just got back from Key Largo yesterday. We also did three days of dives with Ocean Divers. I was very impressed with their operation and staff. Conditions right now off of Key Largo are not the best at this time, things are still stirred up from the tropical wave that went through last week. Visibility is very milky and the wind has been kicking the seas up a little. We still had some great dives in spite of everything. I agree with ft.lauderdale diver, make sure you do a night dive. We had a great time on our night dive, and saw a whole different group of fish/inverts/tutrles then we saw during the day at the same location. We only had four divers on the boat for our night dive, and Ocean Divers still made the trip. I would not have blamed them if they said there weren't enough people, but they said if at least two sign up we are going! Can't help you much with the night life. With doing four dives a day, we were beat at the end of the night. Sharkey's Pub right next to Ocean Divers had good food, and "some" night life. Good Luck!

Elena, thank you so much for the suggestions! I arrive in time for dinner and the paella night at Calypso sounds fabulous! Based on the general feedback, I'll do a night dive and then curl up with a good book on the other two nights - a luxury I don't often get to enjoy!

Regards,
Johanna
Welcome to Key Largo, Chachita! :wavey: and have fun during your class with OD. Hope you enjoy Key Largo's has great wrecks and hope you have a chance to catch some of our famous reefs as well.

Check out Sharkey's Pub (next to OD) on the canal & walking distance to your hotel, it's a very Keyzy institution.

Also the last Tues of every month (this week BTW) is paella night at Calypso's where the only thing on the menu is paella made in a 4ft diameter pan over the fire pit in front of all the customer in their open air restaurant on the water. Tasty and fun!

There isn't much night life in Key Largo like in Key West. We have a lot of great eateries. Every month there are educational/social events hosted by the History of Diving Museum (MM 83) and at REEF HQ (MM98.3) ( At the moment I don't recall which night).

Don't miss our sunsets on the Bayside. I recommend Sundowners (MM104) or Bayside Grill (MM 99.5) which I walk to often.

Thank you! I had heard of the Tasters Grill, so I may hop in a cab and check it out!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom