On recreational divers with pseudo-tech equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zerogravity89

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recreational divers + half-technical equipment setup - proper training = me shaking my head

So I'm a recreational dive instructor. In my work I mainly teach students basic courses like open water, advanced open water etc (and unfortunately far too many DSD's....).
But probably a much more amusing aspect of work for me is leading certified divers. I am always pleased to help people with little experience who are simply looking to learn something new, or people who struggle after having been out of the water for a while. At least they can admit to themselves and to me that they need assistance.

But then there are those who inform me just before I give the briefing that they are "very experienced divers". Those who don't want to listen to advice about dive site information, dive profiles, emergency procedures etc, because they know better and have heard it all before.

One such diver we had diving with us recently provides a particularly amusing example of the kind of tech-wannabe I (and the other instructors I work with) really really hate. I wasn't leading this particular diver but happened to be on the same boat, going to the same site and also (fortunatley to mine and my students' amusement) encountered him underwater.
Let me start with his equipment. I happened to sit near him on the boat and had lots of time to ask him about it. He was wearing a backplate and wing (made by OMS), with bungee-straps all over the place (half of them over the wing, the other half holding his array of gear in place). The wing was huge, with enough lift to raise the titanic. I asked him what it was for (does he dive with doubles and stage bottles), he said "no, only a single tank, but its a good jacket".
Strapped to the wing were weight pockets, filled with a ridiculous amount of lead (and i mean a lot, i had to help him lift all his crap onto the boat, i guess thats what all the lift was for...). He wasn't a big guy by any means and he was wearing a 3mm (plus a backplate...)
Attached to his leg was a knife the size of a samurai sword, and he had the biggest snorkel I have ever seen (on the wrong side of his head I might add).
So his regulator looked to me to be a pretty standard recreational setup, a short hose primary, octopuss style secondary, except he had two low pressure hoses going to the two inflators on his wing (as opposed to the one most of us have here for our BCD's). But now for the best part. He used the primary short hose regulator to breathe, and his yellow octopuss was held in place around his neck just below his mouth (where i believe you tech guys would normally keep your secondary air supply with the short hose). I asked him why his alternate air source was there. He explained that if his buddy ran out of air he would donate his primary and breathe from his alternate. I asked him if maybe he had the hose lengths mixed up and if he didn't think maybe it would be better to give the one with a longer hose to his buddy. His reply was a look of confusion. I told him never mind because we had arrived at the dive site, but signalled the instructor leading him to "watch him".
So halfway through the dive there is a little overhang along the reef where you can often spot a resident moray. As I approached the site, keeping an eye on my two students, ready to test their buoyancy skills when they were close to the sand looking for the moray, i saw a dust-like trail leading towards the spot. the trail became a big ball of sand and what i suspect was only minutes before living coral flying around the place. emerging from said ball was "Mr.-i-wanna-be-a-tech-diver", his fins trailing the ground, waiving his arms excitedly around at everyone. Hovering motionlessly nearby was the instructor leading the dive, looking severly pissed off. Luckily for everyone the offending diver ran out of air after 35 minutes at 14 meters, so he didn't completley destroy the dive site. The debriefing for my students consisted of "never become like that guy".
So after the dive I asked him how he thought it went. He boasted that it was nothing compared to the challenging diving him and his buddies did "back home" (I neglected to ask where that might be). I asked him what prompted his gear selection. He said he had read some stuff on the internet, and he quite liked the idea of tech diving and the equipment setup tech divers use. I ask if he has done any tech courses, or was looking to take any. He looked at me and said "well its mainly about the gear you use, you can learn the rest by yourself". I told him maybe he should look into some coures, and tried to send the message of the importance of proper training, but I know it didn't go in...
I ask my fellow instructor how many dives our friend has.
The answer - 40.

So that is why I hate people who read things online and think they know what they are doing. That is why I hate people using equipment they are not trained to use, or thinking that buying expensive stuff is going to make up for their inability to perform fundamental diving skills correctly. They give all divers a bad name, and unfortunatley a lot of them read info on tech diving and think they can buy some new gear and be a tech diver. I like the fact that everyone on this forum stresseed the importance of proper training to people considering going over to tech diving. Perhaps that guy could learn how to dive properly at 14 meters before he goes off deep and kills himself, or worse, someone else.

A long post, but its something that I see on a weekly basis, and it makes me angry.

I almost feel a need to feel sorry for the guy. Almost...

It's divers like the one in your story that make life difficult for those of us genuinely interested in developing skills in technical specialties the correct way - through training and practice. I've got around the same number of dives as him, and a lot of the "pseudo-tech" gear, with none of the training. However, I'd like to think I've got the gear at least rigged the right way (i.e. the bungee for my secondary is on a hanger in my closet until I get new regs completely - not just new hoses for those I have.) and understand at least the theories behind the proper employment of the equipment I'm diving.

Do I plan on pursuing any tech courses? Of course! But for now I'm diving the gear in a recreational open water, no decompression world so that when I get into the more advanced disciplines I don't have to worry about learning new equipment as well as learning to understand different mixes and deco procedures..

Somebody who doesn't know what they are doing but thinks they do is a PITA, whether they have pseudo-tech equipment or not.

There's a ton of information on the internet, and no way to stop people from digesting half of it and taking off running.

Please don't judge me and my equipment by this guy, should we ever run into one another!

It seemed and entertaining day of diving. It sounds like here should be in the market for a rebreather shortly.

In all fairness its his money, if he wants to look like the poster child for bone-heads-are-us so be it.

I'm surprised you could hear what he had to say when you were all the way up there on that high horse.
His money, his diving...f'ck all to do with anyone else.

I'm surprised you could hear what he had to say when you were all the way up there on that high horse.
hehehe - im sorry but it takes an aussie to be so blunt

hubby had a student last year and even before he started his OW he wanted to sign up for his DM, by the time he finished his advance (3 weeks after his OW) he was signing up for advance deco and asking about a rebreather. i remember this conversation, he asked hubby what rebreather he should buy. hubby responded he should dive for a while and take about six months to try dive as many units as he could and read about them

diver responded "i dont want to waste my time on that - just give me a name and i'll order one"

these days its about instant gratification and wanting to stand above the crowd, why else did oceanic come out with the hollis range - they see a market of new divers that want the ideal of being a bit more elite than others and are going to cash in on them (not that the hollis range isnt a good product but they are better placed (down here anyways) for the newbie market than some of the other manfacturers)

cheers

Last edited:

not when he is single handedly destroying en entire reef ecosystem....:no:

It's easy to see why instructors would like everybody to get more training, and it would be hard to argue that training is a bad thing. But there is an instructor out there who certified this guy already, presumably deeming him competent to conduct a dive without plowing the reef.

Notwithstanding all that, a person with reasonable reading-comprehension skills could spend a few hours on the Scubaboard and find out how to set up his gear properly, tech-style or otherwise. He could also get good advice on how to diagnose his buoyancy and weighting issues. This clown's problem is not a lack of training, but the lack of a clue.

a person with reasonable reading-comprehension skills could spend a few hours on the Scubaboard and find out how to set up his gear properly, tech-style or otherwise. He could also get good advice on how to diagnose his buoyancy and weighting issues.

but there are those on SB who feel that acquiring your knowledge any Other way than by paying someone Else for it is a sure way to kill yourself!! I mean, you couldnt Possibly learn anything from books!?! what you gotta deathwish or something!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom