On recreational divers with pseudo-tech equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP, I agree that this guy sounds like a complete tool and derves every shot he gets. Something watered down the gene pool before he went swimming.

I'm surprised you could hear what he had to say when you were all the way up there on that high horse.
His money, his diving...f'ck all to do with anyone else.

While I absolutely disagree with your closing argument, I sort of agree with the principle behind your opening remark. I would like to make a point to those reading this post. I am anot a tech diver but someday may take that route. I have close to 300 dives (with OW, AOW and EANx Nitrox training) and will be replacing my jacket style BC soon. I plan on replacing it with a BP&W simply because that will be required for me to advance and because of all the praise they get on here and through many dive shops. It seems the intelligent choice for me, not because I want to "look cool" or "look like a tech diver" but because it will be required for diving doubles (someday) and is apparently quite comfortable to dive with. I am slowly trying to get many of the things that will be required to advance (redundancy as a start), however at no point will I ever say that I am a tech (or even a tech wanna be) diver. Not without the proper training. I will also not think that because I have a pony (redunancy only of course), or a reel or some other thing, that I can automatically do dives beyond my comfort or training.

I side with TSandM on this one. THIS SAYS IT ALL (thanks to TSandM) and we should all be so lucky to only encounter people that will judge based on personality and skills rather than "Look at his equipment...teehee". Ask me a couple questions and dive with me once before you decide I am a useless tech-wanna-be. One chance is all a persons needs to be given IMHO. Anything beyond that is up to you.

........Please don't judge me and my equipment by this guy, should we ever run into one another!

........he is a recreational diver who dives doubles and a BP/W.......

CALL the Scuba Police.....wait a minute. What's the number again? 976-668-8324 (976-NOT-TECH)

scubasteve ... no worries with disagreeing with me, but why? You didn't touch on that in your post.
FYI i've got less dives than you, dive a backplate and wing plus occasionally manifolded twins, so i'm sure i get looked at like i'm a techy-wannabe... so? it's my diving and my money, i'll use it on what i want :wink:
there's no laws or restrictions on what gear you should dive for what type of diving, it all comes down to common sense. Common sense cannot be taught, so i'm of the opinion that unless someone asks for advice, don't try and shove it down their throat... especially when you try and deliver it in an incredibly arrogant manner.

The term suicidal is extreme, but my assumption is that if the guy is this clueless about something basic like weighting and he won't listen to me, then I am not going to be doing a 100 foot drift dive onto a shipwreck with him. I've dove with all kinds of crazy people and retarded people, physically handicapped people, people that were emotional wrecks, but I do draw the line somewhere.

Wait... I'm confused... you just met this guy on a dive boat and you want him to TRUST YOU and change his gear configuration just before a dive because you say so?

And you criticize HIM???

-S

Wait... I'm confused... you just met this guy on a dive boat and you want him to TRUST YOU and change his gear configuration just before a dive because you say so?

And you criticize HIM???

-S

Yup! I'm the divemaster. I have local knowledge, have done the dive a hundred times and it is my job to make sure he has a fun time and gets to live long enough to tell his wife about the cool dive he had over dinner that night. I'm a professional and he is a clueless recreational diver.

If someone doesn't follow MY rules, then one of us is not going to be diving. The Capt. gets to pick if it is going to be me or the customer who will be sitting on the boat.

You have to understand that this is a VERY rare occurance and any good divemaster is able to spot most disasters before they occur and it is his responsibility to attempt to prevent them. I would do the same if I guy showed up totally drunk...

I have two autistic grandchildren, so when you say retarded and crazy, is that what you mean, or are you referring to "normal" people who act the fool? I also have a dive buddy who is mentally challenged, and he is one of the most reasonable, skilled divers I know. Takes him forever to learn a skill, but once he has it, he has it. In fact, I did a surprise OOG on him last night and his response was textbook. I am really proud of him. :) Oh, and BTW, he is a recreational diver who dives doubles and a BP/W, so maybe he's smarter than we think. :eyebrow:

I certainly would not consider a mentally hanicapped person to be "crazy" and I did not intend for my comments to be perceived as negative toward handicapped individuals regardless of whether it is a mental or physical disability.

Naw, it's all about the gear. That's why I use Nike.

Is it the shoes? :D

Sorry I just liked this quote..... Can we get back on subject. (I'm not saying anyone is Bill or Ted here). Back to new divers that may or may not spend their money foolishly or not. :no: :popcorn:

Now with the above said, just don't make fun of my 12 y.o. twins (JR OW) who dive my old BPs' w/ donut wings, with old zeagles or jetstream regulator set-ups, with hockey puck computers. It was all long ago bought and paid for - its amazing how older well maintained equipment can come in unbeliveably handy sometimes. And they just look like seasoned pros in them. If they ever want to do doubles, they can upgrade to some horseshoes I got in the hall closet. :shocked2: :rofl3:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom