On recreational divers with pseudo-tech equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recreational divers + half-technical equipment setup - proper training = me shaking my head

A long post, but its something that I see on a weekly basis, and it makes me angry.

Hey is this the guy??
LR-IMGP8021.jpg

It's easy to see why instructors would like everybody to get more training, and it would be hard to argue that training is a bad thing. But there is an instructor out there who certified this guy already, presumably deeming him competent to conduct a dive without plowing the reef.

Notwithstanding all that, a person with reasonable reading-comprehension skills could spend a few hours on the Scubaboard and find out how to set up his gear properly,
unfortunately "PROPER" to a lot of people are those bungeed wings of death
tech-style or otherwise. He could also get good advice on how to diagnose his buoyancy and weighting issues. This clown's problem is not a lack of training, but the lack of a clue.

I agree.

That photo is hilarious. Is that a laser sight above his mask?........

I wanna know what the dude is looking at... he's looking up at something. He's thinking "hey, is my light on?"

Yup! I'm the divemaster. I have local knowledge, have done the dive a hundred times and it is my job to make sure he has a fun time and gets to live long enough to tell his wife about the cool dive he had over dinner that night. I'm a professional and he is a clueless recreational diver.

If I had a nickel for every time a certified DM or instructor had no idea what some piece of my gear was or why it was set up some way, I'd be...well, I'd have about one dollar. But I'd have that same amount if I had a nickel for every DM I've ever met.

Divemaster != knowledge of "tech" configs or procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom