Onboard Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlcnuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The various liveaboards all offer onboard specialty instructions, but I noticed on the website it states that "Instructional materials not included".

Are divers expected to have bought and completed all the instructional materials before showing up, or is that available onboard and just not included in the price shown? If so, what is the additional cost?

I'm looking to do a couple specialties on my trip and want to make sure I understand what I need to bring/do before the trip to make that happen.

Sounds like it's time to call the boat operator.
Most likely, they'll have the stuff there, and are just telling you that it's an extra charge beyond the instruction fee. Not uncommon.

But make sure they aren't expecting you to have completed the knowledge reviews (if applicable) before you arrive with your own books. They should be able to tell you what they mean on the phone.

Most specialty packs are $70-120 extra, with book, video and perhaps a slate.
PADI Examples (retail cost):
Deep, Search & Recovery, Night, Wreck: $77
Nitrox: $113

Last edited:
Sounds like it's time to call the boat operator.
Most likely, they'll have the stuff there, and are just telling you that it's an extra charge beyond the instruction fee. Not uncommon.

But make sure they aren't expecting you to have completed the knowledge reviews (if applicable) before you arrive with your own books. They should be able to tell you what they mean on the phone.

Most specialty packs are $40-80 extra, with book and perhaps a slate (e.g., Search and Rescue).

I was going to call, but decided to post here so maybe they could provide the answer to me as well as for others who might have the same question. The specific webpage I'm referring to is for All Star Liveaboards here at Dive Instruction - Blackbeard's Cruises scuba diving liveaboard sailboats

I was going to call, but decided to post here so maybe they could provide the answer to me as well as for others who might have the same question. The specific webpage I'm referring to is for All Star Liveaboards here at Dive Instruction - Blackbeard's Cruises scuba diving liveaboard sailboats
Blackbeard's does offer open water check out dives, advanced certifications and specialty courses. We do not keep a stock of the materials onboard. but occasionally a passenger may leave their copy after completing a certification.

We recommend purchasing your own copy from your local dive shop. This also allows you to read up on the material before joining us giving you more time to relax on your vacation. Once onboard you can complete the knowledge review, test and necessary dives and your certification will be complete.

That is pretty much going fee for specialties such as Wreck in which there are 3 required dives if you are AOW diver- or 4 if you are just OW diver. The Padi Materials & cert. cost is what brings cost up, you are getting private instruction for min. 3 dives, I do not think that is too expensive.

That is pretty much going fee for specialties such as Wreck in which there are 3 required dives if you are AOW diver- or 4 if you are just OW diver. The Padi Materials & cert. cost is what brings cost up, you are getting private instruction for min. 3 dives, I do not think that is too expensive.

Fair enough for wreck. You make a good point.
But Nitrox, where 0 dives are required, and the student has already studied the material?
Or night? $62 per guided dive on top of liveaboard fees is more than I charge.
But value is where you find it. No argument there.
And PADI's costs are sometimes hard to swallow.

But Nitrox, where 0 dives are required, and the student has already studied the material?
I agree on Padi fees and if I am on a liveaboard I and there for one thing- diving-not to take specialties-go to your LDS if you want to do specialties. Also don't forget you are paying for specialties and you have to tip on top of that.

Not too expensive when you have already paid for your dives as part of your liveaboard package ?
Looks like you are paying twice ...

For nitrox simply do online course if PADI and complete it locally before trip. Cost of $62 for guided dive , sounds fair, do not forget to tip. I would charge at least $100 probably more. You do know that the guide is accepting responsibility for your safety and should be a dive pro (divemaster or instructor) who has fees and insurance requirements to maintain along with being paid for their time and expertise. Why do you need a guide in the first place? Perhaps it is not a guide you need but an instructor to assist you to improve skills.PADI does not set fees that a facility or instructor charges. To say PADI cost hard to swallow is misleading.

Back
Top Bottom